FV 4201, Chieftain Mk 5 (Tamiya 1/35)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

BombTaxi

Tech Sergeant
Nov 27, 2004
Barnsley, S. Yorks, UK
Well, I finally got it finished. Tamiya's Chieftain in the colours of an unidentified unit of the BAOR in the late 1980's, seen here soaking up the South Yorkshire sun. It's a heck of a lot of kit for a very reasonable price, and goes together like a dream. For my first big-scale armour build, I would say it came out OK :lol: If anyone recognises the tactical markings and can ID the unit this vehicle belongs to, I would be very grateful 8)

100_1648.jpg

100_1649.jpg

100_1651.jpg

100_1647.jpg

Cheers

BT

Very well done. I built one of these quite a few years back and remember it being quite an enjoyable kit. I always wanted to do another with the Stillbrew armour and the colors of the Berlin Brigade but the thought of that much masking just put me off.

Very well done. I built one of these quite a few years back and remember it being quite an enjoyable kit. I always wanted to do another with the Stillbrew armour and the colors of the Berlin Brigade but the thought of that much masking just put me off.

Haha, I had exactly the same thought! Berlin Bde camo looks excellent, but I'd have a nervous breakdown doing the paintjob :lol:

Thanks for all the comments guys, good to know I'm improving slowly...

If you want some pics of the ex- Berlin Squadron Chieftains BT, let me know. About 16 years ago, I was involved in a business where we had, initially, six Chieftains, plus a fair number of other AFV's, three of which were brand new, out of the box, ex- Berlin, with less than 50km on the clock. Out of the initial batch of tanks, three were used as set dressing in the 'Bond' movie 'Golden Eye', heavily modified to look like (then) current Russian tanks - but that's another, and long, story!
BTW, the 'turreted' 432's (set for GPMG), were not restricted to Berlin - they were standard kit, as Command vehicles, mainly in BAOR, but also in UKLF. We had three of these, and another business associate had a further six or more.

Ah, thanks Terry, I thought the turreted ones were unique. I also thought there was a 432 variant with the RARDEN turret off the CVR(T) family? Many thanks for the offer of pics, I will have to shelve it for a while, I have made a deal with SWMBO that I won't buy any more until I've wound down the stash, and there's at least a dozen to go yet 8) :lol: I would definitelylike to have a go at a Berlin Chieftain when the time comes though

Users who are viewing this thread

Back