FW-190 Post War service

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

A little bit of info on the NC.900 from my thread about the Musee de l'Air, where there is one on display, although done in German markings.

SNCAC (Société Nationale de Construction Aéronautique du Centre) NC.900, one of around 70 to 75 that were assembled from leftover parts and airframes at the former chalk quarry at Cravant, used by the German occupiers as a construction and repair facility for Fw 190s on the Western Front. The NC.900s in use by the Armee de l'Air were constructed from different Fw 190 variants, A-5, A-6 and A-8 fuselages and wings and therefore were not differentiated based on model, even though there was a significant lack of commonality between individual aircraft. Poorly constructed with poor quality parts, the NC.900s were difficult to fly and only one frontline unit was equipped with them, the aforementioned Normandie-Niemen regiment, Groupe du Chasse III/5 receiving just 14 of them, with the remainder going to CEV (centre d'essais en vol) training unit at Brétigny. First flying in March 1945, the NC.900 remained in service with the Normandie-Niemen regiment for 18 months and its pilots shared an intense dislike for their German designed mounts, not least for patriotic reasons, but also because they were a handful to fly as a result of their mixed quality construction. This one is the last surviving French assembled and operated Fw 190; the remainder were scrapped.

50670275373_96357689dd_b.jpg
Musee de l'Air 17

50670275378_a855f6d484_b.jpg
Musee de l'Air 18

Last edited:
Found some useful stuff...

I wonder what the story behind the "Canadian" one is. Captured by a Canadian unit?

Taking a look in my frequently thumbed copy of Butler's War Prizes, there was an Fw 190F captured by 127 Wing, a Spitfire Wing comprising Canadian squadrons captured at a Lufthansa facility at Travemunde and it was flown at B154 Reinsehlen in May 1945. Another was captured by 401 Sqn RCAF, either at Wunstorf in April 1945 or Fassberg in May 1945... If the sides can be seen then identification of which aircraft it might be can be established, as each Canadian unit put markings on the aircraft.

Are there any records of the 190 being used post war? Perhaps in the Soviet Bloc?
I recall reading that some Fw 190Ds were used by the Soviets.

Realistically, it would be very difficult to support captured German fighters and bombers after WW2. Quality control had generally fallen during the war because of industrial disruptions and an increasing reliance on slave labor.The Germans were very short of nickel and other strategic metals, and extreme conservation measures resulted in shortening the lives of key components, such as valves. Some of this is covered in the WW2 engine book by Calum Douglas.

The second aircraft has its tail wheel up off the ground / is undergoing maintenance. Is that Russian colors (paint) or German?
The Soviets mostly left the Luftwaffe camo intact on captured aircraft, just overpainting the German national markings with theirs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back