Fw-190 tire size

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

For some reason, I'm having a heck of a time coming up with the main landing gear tire size for a Fw-190 airplane. We are preparing to put a main landing gear leg on display in our museum, and I want to put a wheel and tire on it, so visitors can better understand what they are looking at. My plan was to start with the tire size, and once I get that, find our what more modern and common airplane uses that (or similar) size, so I can acquire a wheel. We can adapt a wheel to the Fw-190 axel, but I can't seem to get past square one. Can any of you please tell me the size of the tire?

Thank you,
Larry

It may be a problem because the Fw 190A used two types. The retreaded Dunlop tire and later Continental balloon one. Also there were two types of the wheel hub for the main wheels. Anyway you have to find , not only the tyre of the correct size and close shape but also fitting the hub you have.

Hello Wurger,

Here's a little background. The Freeman Army Airfield Museum has a bunch of parts (but no whole airplanes) from WWII enemy airplanes. The airplanes were brought to Freeman Army Airfield after the war was over, and the airfield (which had been used to train multi-engine pilots), was repurposed as the Foreign Aircraft Evaluation Center. We had 160 enemy aircraft (mostly German, but some Italian and Japanese) here for evaluation. Some were put back together and flown; others were completely disassembled for detailed examination. After the evaluation period (ended late 1946), the whole airplanes went to air museums all over the U.S. Many went to what is now the Museum of the United States Air Force, and others to our National Air & Space Museum in Washington, D.C. The parts from the disassembled airplanes were considered junk at the time (late 1946, in to 1947), and were taken out on the airfield and buried. They stayed buried until the 1990's, when people, almost 2 generations later, started hunting for them. Our museum has a lot of the parts that have been dug up; among them, quite a few Fw-190 parts.

We had the vertical tail from a 190, and, separately, the tailwheel landing gear strut. Several years ago we cleaned up the tailwheel strut, better cleaned the vertical tail section, and reinstalled the strut up in the vertical tail. Then, we had the same problem; we needed a wheel & tire. I called Desser Tire here in the US, they knew the tire size (very close to 6.00-6, in inches). I got a guy I knew to give us a nose wheel for a Cessna 150, and I got a local machine shop that does favors for the museum to machine us an axel and bushings that would fit the wheel, and the ends mate with the Fw-190 tailwheel yoke. It looks really good in the display, and would take a trained eye to tell that it is not original.

Now we are doing the same thing with a Fw-190 main landing gear strut. I am trying to take the same approach to getting a wheel and tire assembly for the main gear leg. But this time, Desser Tire is no help. They told me they don't know the main gear tire size. A call to a museum in another state that has a Fw-190 was not returned. You would think they could go out on the floor, read the tire size, and tell me, but no such luck. I then turned to this forum, and you were kind enough to tell me the tire size.

So, that's what I am trying to accomplish. If I can obtain a wheel an tire of approximately the correct size, I can get my friendly machine shop to alter the wheel, and/or make me an adapter, so I can complete the Fw-190 main landing gear strut display.

Thank you for your help.

Larry

This is just part of it. Tire size is given on Page 148. The whole Design Analysis is posted elsewhere.
Fw0190AvWeek-1.jpg
Fw0190AvWeek-2.jpg
Fw0190AvWeek-11.jpg
Fw0190AvWeek-12.jpg
Fw0190AvWeek-13.jpg

Hello Wurger,

Here's a little background. The Freeman Army Airfield Museum has a bunch of parts (but no whole airplanes) from WWII enemy airplanes. The airplanes were brought to Freeman Army Airfield after the war was over, and the airfield (which had been used to train multi-engine pilots), was repurposed as the Foreign Aircraft Evaluation Center. We had 160 enemy aircraft (mostly German, but some Italian and Japanese) here for evaluation. Some were put back together and flown; others were completely disassembled for detailed examination. After the evaluation period (ended late 1946), the whole airplanes went to air museums all over the U.S. Many went to what is now the Museum of the United States Air Force, and others to our National Air & Space Museum in Washington, D.C. The parts from the disassembled airplanes were considered junk at the time (late 1946, in to 1947), and were taken out on the airfield and buried. They stayed buried until the 1990's, when people, almost 2 generations later, started hunting for them. Our museum has a lot of the parts that have been dug up; among them, quite a few Fw-190 parts.

We had the vertical tail from a 190, and, separately, the tailwheel landing gear strut. Several years ago we cleaned up the tailwheel strut, better cleaned the vertical tail section, and reinstalled the strut up in the vertical tail. Then, we had the same problem; we needed a wheel & tire. I called Desser Tire here in the US, they knew the tire size (very close to 6.00-6, in inches). I got a guy I knew to give us a nose wheel for a Cessna 150, and I got a local machine shop that does favors for the museum to machine us an axel and bushings that would fit the wheel, and the ends mate with the Fw-190 tailwheel yoke. It looks really good in the display, and would take a trained eye to tell that it is not original.

Now we are doing the same thing with a Fw-190 main landing gear strut. I am trying to take the same approach to getting a wheel and tire assembly for the main gear leg. But this time, Desser Tire is no help. They told me they don't know the main gear tire size. A call to a museum in another state that has a Fw-190 was not returned. You would think they could go out on the floor, read the tire size, and tell me, but no such luck. I then turned to this forum, and you were kind enough to tell me the tire size.

So, that's what I am trying to accomplish. If I can obtain a wheel an tire of approximately the correct size, I can get my friendly machine shop to alter the wheel, and/or make me an adapter, so I can complete the Fw-190 main landing gear strut display.

Thank you for your help.

Larry

Grasped.

Good luck !!! :thumbright: :thumbleft:

Ahhhh ... now that is just some fun the admins made. I started making fun of ranks, bannning etc.
Trust me we do have fun here. We are not brittle.
As said before in very good geste and spirit.

And i am proud of it.

Thanks, blueskies & Wurger.

Now, if somebody knows of a common aircraft that takes the 700 x 175mm tire, so I can go after a wheel, I'll be on my way.

Larry
Goodyear do a 670 x 210 - 12 tyre.

I was out at the museum this afternoon, and took these of our Flug-werk Fw-190 A8/N. I'm not sure how close these are to original though.

100-2.jpg

100-3.jpg

100-4.jpg

100-5.jpg

100-7.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back