Fw 190A MG FF/M RPG

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

greybeard

Airman 1st Class
Oct 25, 2011
Still in trouble trying to detect historical ammo load(s) for early versions... About Oerlikon cannons I find 55, 60, and 90 rounds per gun on different sources. Official documents at Avialogs don't help much: a "Trommeln T 60-FF" is mentioned about A-1 variant, which lets think to 60 rounds,

Fw190A1MGFFAmmoLoad.png

but, about A-5, only ammunition weight is stated:

Fw190A5.jpg

whilst german Wiki reports 90 RPG both for A-3 and A-5 variants (how to fit 90 cartridges in a drom made for 60? I wonder - something like Lewis drum, increased from 47 to 97?:-k):

Fw190A3.jpg
Fw190A5_bis.jpg

the figure of 55 derives only by rumors of reduced drum loading to avoid weapon jamming.

To complete my mental confusiono_O, also figures about outer wing cannons MG 151/20 E are uncertain:

130 Schuβ
Fw190A6_bis.jpg

or 140?
Fw190A6_ter.jpg

Finally, pardon me for my fussiness and thanks in advance for any help.

What happened with my previous reply?
Anyway - 90 rd drum 'pushed' the spring and other ammo feed ancillaries 'outside' of the drum, so more rounds can be stuffed in a drum that was barely bigger than the 60 rd drum.
As for the wing-mounted cannons - it is easy to increase the ammo with belt-fed guns, provided there is space free.

Drums and magazine:

drms FF.jpg

What happened with my previous reply?
Sorry, but my previous question was about MG 17 only...

Thanks a lot for image about MG FF drums: I couldn't even imagine that there were four different capacities... Much enlightening!:notworthy:=D>

How the heck did they manage to produce 90-round drums without all sorts of feed problems?

The HS404s were almost always loaded with 55 rounds or less (as few as 30) because of problems with spring strength. If the spring is too weak, the problems are obvious, but if the spring is too strong, you can cause all sorts of jams, including rounds pushed out of alignment inside the drum.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back