Fw-190D-9 Stall Characteristics

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Broncazonk

Banned
Jun 14, 2008
Did the D-9 have the same NASTY stall properties as the BMW 801D powered - A/F/G series aircraft?

I have gun camera footage of an A-8 going into a stall while it chases a P-51D. One wing suddenly drops, then the aircraft goes into an inverted - flat spin - for two or three revolutions. Talk about SCARY.

Later the A-8 recovers and takes a snap-shot (low - head-on pass) that downs the P-51.)

Bronc

Hi Broncazonk,

>Did the D-9 have the same NASTY stall properties as the BMW 801D powered - A/F/G series aircraft?

The Fw 190D-9 had the same wing as the radial-engined variants, so it would not differ greatly in its stall behaviour.

However, the behaviour you describe - with a sharp stall and the possibility of a flick roll - is fairly typical for fighters of the era.

There were only few fighters that would behave differently - the Spitfire (carefully designed wash-out, gradual stalling wing) and the Me 109 (slats to delay the stall, fairly flick/spin resistant) come to my mind first.

There is an interesting article by David Lednicer on this topic which mentions that the Fw 190 stall behaviour was influenced by aeroelasticity effects, if I recall correctly. Look around and you'll probably find it discussed somewhere on this forum, too.

Regards,

Henning (HoHun)

That was one long argument though... ;)

Yes it was KK - Lol.

I did read a report on the D-9 post war that indicated the test pilot's opinion that the D-9 was more forgiving in a low speed stall than the A but in every other respect but speed and climb, the pilot (US) liked the A better as far as respnsiveness, roll, turn and acceleration.

The report alsom mentioned possible control rigging issues in the D-9.

My father liked the D-9 but only had about 25 hours in it when the 355th went to Gablingen after VE Day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back