Fw190 A-3

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks A4K

Am i dumb or what i don't have a clue on what you guys call trim tabs etc on aircraft all i know is how to put them together :oops:

I am not up to all this lingo.All i can tell you is a plane is a plane :oops::oops::oops:

Trim tabs. Not a dumb question. When the aileron goes down that increases the lift of that wing. It flies up because of the added lift. The opposite aileron goes up spoiling the lift on that wing so it goes down. The ailerons are set up so they deflect differentially. In other words, it doesn't take as much down aileron to make a wing fly up as it does up aileron to make the wing fly down. So, they deflect with differing throws that is set into the linkage. The ailerons control the airplane around the roll axis which is an imaginary line drawn through the longitudinal axis of the fuselage nose-to-tail. If the pilot is in level flight and takes his hands off the joystick the airplane may roll left or right. No airplane is perfectly stable around it's yaw, roll and pitches axis. So, to counter this instability trim tabs are hinged to the ailerons and connected to a cable and drum system. The drum is usually in the cockpit with a handle attached for the pilot to move. The trim tabs do exactly the same function as the ailerons. Move the trim tab down, the aileron goes up because the area of airflow over the aileron and trim tab is changed with trim tab deflection that increases lift in that area of airflow. Unlike the aileron/wing differential of lift to drag components, the trim tab increases aileron lift in either direction of throw. This allows the pilot to set his ailerons, using the trim tabs, to trim the airplane for wings-level flight. Otherwise, without trim tabs he would have to maintain constant hands-on pressure on the joystick either left or right to maintain wings-level flight. Trim tabs allow a hands-off trimming of the airplane to maintain stable flight characteristics. In formation flying this is essential. The elevator controls movement around the pitch axis which is an imaginary line drawn through the wings from tip to tip at the center of gravity, which is at or near the center of lift. The rudder controls the movement around the yaw axis which is an imaginary line drawn vertically through the fuselage at the center of gravity. The elevator and rudder are also equipped with trim tabs for the same reason as the ailerons are.

Last: Control tabs. These are similar to trim tabs but they are there to assist the pilot over-come control loads on the feathers (ailerons, elevators and rudder) at high speeds. With high speed comes high pressures on the feathers and that translates to heavy joystick loading on the pilot. Control tabs are rigged to deflect the opposite direction of movement on each of the feathers, but typically just the ailerons and elevators. This adds an aerodynamic lift component that assists the pilot in moving the joystick in the direction he wants to move it to. Later on hydraulically boosted feathers came into being and are common-place on high performance airplanes or very large airplanes where the pilots would no way be able to move them with normal human strength.

Last edited:
Mods can you delete this please messed it up

Thank you

Attachments

• 190 ammended 1.jpg
    190 ammended 1.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 47
  • 190 ammended 2.jpg
    190 ammended 2.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 48
  • 190 ammended 3.jpg
    190 ammended 3.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 48
  • 190 amended 4.jpg
    190 amended 4.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
No fair...Guttorm....you get to play with all the best toys!!!:D:D:D

Great additional work Keith, that extra work has improved your model big time, good on you for taking the extra step mate!...well done.

hehe

the only difference from a boy and a man is the prize on the toys :) and the Fw 190 is looking good now. painting the panel really made a difference. I love details :) hows the masking going on the next project ?

keep up the good work :)

Guttorm

Thanks for asking Junkers88A1

Masking is better than the a-3

pics up tomorrow of the finished dora ( in my eye's the best yet ) but it is up to you guy's to judge :?: :D

you can come and play with the He 111, The Ju 52 and the Ju 88 that we have here down south outside Oslo :) hehe
the Fw 190 A3 has gone to Bodø ( the museum up north for final completion and display in january :)

looking forward to see your new project completed and good to hear that the masking is going good :)
planty of nice tips on this forum that will only keep improving the skills.. very nice guys in here :)

Attachments

• div 002.jpg
    div 002.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 74
  • He 111 P2 002.jpg
    He 111 P2 002.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 76
I might just take you up on that Guttorm. I don't suppose you have any Me 410's sitting at the bottom of your lakes too? IV./ZG 26, the last Zestorergruppe of the Luftwaffe were based at Orlandet/Gardermoen and 3 (F) 22 at Lista/Stavenger/Sola. Too much to hope for I expect!

no that i know of BUT i know where they buried the ones that was stationed at Gardermoen after they destroyed them togheter with 200 ju 88`s and some fw 200 condors and more..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back