FW190A canopy without antenna roller? (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Alte Hase

Airman 1st Class
Sep 25, 2011
Hi all,

I was reading decal instructions for an FW190 A-8 (Dortenmann's FW190A-8 Red 1), and noticed that this machine had a standard canopy (ie not 'blown') that had no antenna roller/pulley.I am aware of other a-8s with the standard canopy that had this too, I think 'Kolle alaaf!' of JG 300 was one other example.

I've tried to find close up photos or diagrams of this type of canopy to see how the antenna wire entered the cockpit without the roller assembly and also how the top of the canopy looked in instances where the roller was not present but have so far found nothing.

If anyone has any information, I'd really appreciate it!

It didn't enter the cockpit. There was a 'down wire' to the radio compartment to the rear.

There was a fitting and simple hook on top of the canopy.

blown_zpskiqx6wth.gif

Cheers

Steve

Thanks stona. I have this photo too ( from the "Walkaround" series ), but I believe it refers to the 'blown' canopy only. Was the 'regular' canopy that did not have the roller exactly the same as the fitting on the blown canopy?

It would have to be something similar. The way the tensioning system worked to double the antenna wire back inside the cockpit and rearwards to the radio was dependant on maintaining the tension, wherever the hood was. If the wire was passed into the cockpit without the system I can see serious problems when attempting to open/close the cockpit hood with slack wire doing what unmanaged cable always does...getting into exactly the places you don't want it.
I can't check further until next month when I get home.
Cheers
Steve

Thanks for that. That makes perfect sense. I's still love to see a photo or diagram of the flat canopy without the roller, just to get a picture of it in my head.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back