Galland Bf109 24th September

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

smithart101

Airman
Apr 16, 2009
Englandshire
Hi Lads,

this one is of Galland shooting down the Hurricane of Harold Bird-Wilson near Rochester (Thames estuary), 24th September during the Battle of Britain. Bird-Wilson bailed out and was picked up from the water badly burnt but alive.
Your comments are appreciated as no doubt there are some errors! Not sure if this A/C had the mickey mouse at this point or if the tail markings are correct, although the 4th row of markings is obscured by the tail plane. Spinner correct for this date?

galland 109 detail.jpg

GALLAND 109.jpg

galland rudder.jpg

thanks, Simon

I notice photo #3 ,on your thread Njaco, has the hollow spinner and mickey mouse ears visable. The foliage on the trees and light suggests late summer/autumn. Is there a date for that photo?

First correction, at this time the first 30 victories were RED, and I now believe that 36 and 37 were RED also, in ALL previous data/info these two have always been seen to be BLACK. Soon after the rudder was repainted yellow and a Lt. Blue RLM 65 rectangular patch was added and the victory bars were repainted on this blue area in a slightly different position from the previous application, for some strange reason the sequence of Red victory bars changed to 1-22, 36, 37 and 41 being RED the rest in Black. This is based on the next confirmed photo showing 45 victories on the blue background.

Ah! I can see them now.
Agree with Wayne re the abschuss zeichen. Far as I know without checking, the Micky Mouse badge should be there, and the spinner was un-capped at this date. No doubt Wayne can confirm or correct as required.

Spinner was uncapped at this time.

The Mickey Mouse Emblem, as I understand it was not applied at the 40th victory, it was sometime shortly after when the telescope/gunsight? was also fitted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back