Gate guardians

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

herman1rg

Tech Sergeant
Dec 3, 2008
I know there are loads of airfields around the world that have gate guardians that are either real planes or replicas.

I'd love to see people post pictures of them along with some short details of where the base is.

Many Thanks in anticipation

Richard aka Herman1rg

this is on a roundabout a few miles from my house, used to live right next to it when it was just a roundabout

Attachments

• 2124727883_caf30702c0.jpg
    2124727883_caf30702c0.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 132
Nice one Karl. Is there some significance about it's being there, and a MkV too ? I suppose there is, but can't think of any connection for the immediate area. Don't see many MkV replicas either, they're normally Mk 1 or MkIX.

OK, here's one MiG-21bis which stands as gate guardian at the main entrance into the 204th Air Base of Serbian Air Force (hence the black number 204 on the aircraft nose), here more commonly know as Batajnica Air Base by the nearby town of the same name. (Also this base is located some 10km off my home town Stara Pazova.) MiG-21 is closely linked with this place as the squadrons based here were first in former Yugoslavia to start to operate this aircraft in 1962 as they still do today.

This aircraft is nicely visible for anyone driving along the Belgrade-Novi Sad regional road. There's another gate guardian at the Gate No. 3, but this one is only visible from the inside. This second aircraft is G-4 Supergaleb advanced trainer.

Attachments

• batajnica_01.jpg
    batajnica_01.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 123
  • batajnica_02.jpg
    batajnica_02.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 126
I think I might have a few, some of them now removed for preservation, with at least one now flying. I need to get a transparency scanner though, as over 95% of my 'old' stuff is on slides.

There was a late-mark Spitfire at RAF Leuchars

I remember seeing one driving past RAF Northolt

There was a Hurricane I and Spitfire I at Biggin Hill, outside of the RHQ building

Pretty sure all are now gone for restoration, they're FAR too valuable to rot on poles. The Biggin Hill duo were down on their undercarts.

There's an RCAF CT-33 in St. Albert (the city I actually live in, borders touch with Edmonton, but nobody's heard of it!) right outside of the Royal Canadian Legion. No pictures though, I'll have to walk down and take some.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back