GB 30 'Post-War Warbirds'

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

JKim

Senior Master Sergeant
Jul 1, 2014
Carlsbad, CA
May 1st- Sunday Sep 4th 2016 - GB 30-'Post-War Warbirds' Given a New Lease Of Life.
Civilian and military use of WWII types after 1945, including air show circuit birds, water bombers and crop dusters, museum examples, civilian airliners/ touring aircraft, foreign service post war, etc, etc...Would allow some of the odd-ball post war conversions and dubious airshow and museum 'camo jobs' a look in, as well some of the smart civvy schemes worn by ex-military aircraft.

Curious to see what ya'll are planning for this GB.

I'm doubtful for this GB. A postwar Mosquito PR35 in Spartan Air Service colours would seem an obvious choice for me though, given that I'm involved in the restoration of this very bird.

maxresdefault.jpg

Same owner but the aircraft goes from blue to red with a spiffy pink tail. I'll need to research a few mods to see if I'm capable of carrying this one off though the 2 I've seen don't look too difficult.

Geo

Not sure if I'll enter anything, but if I do, it might be one of three Spitfires (MkIX, MkIX two-seater, or MkXVI low back) still flying on the air show circuit, all of which saw combat in WW2, or maybe the Spit XVI in post-war overall silver, with 609 Sqn R.Aux.AF.
Alternatively, a 'movie star' could be a good subject, maybe another Mitchell, or maybe a Spitfire, Hurricane or Mosquito.

I if I do not have very clear worse it will try would a A-26 Invader fire service in Greybull

Mentioned in another thread that I couldn't find decals for Glenn's P-51..........ta da!!!!!!! However, "Blue 2" or any other blue is not an option. There was red, black and yellow markings and only enough national markings for one aircraft.

Geo

A few late model Mustangs and Spitfires I see... this GB will probably be a good representation of the apex of piston fighter development. A Fury or Bearcat would be nice to see. The Mossie PR35 would be fantastic build to see, especially given your involvement in the restoration of that particular machine... when is THAT ever going to happen again Andy???

My contribution will be the kit that I recently sniped off EBay recently.
edu1121_0.jpg

That's a nice kit John. I've had the original Airfix kit in my stash ever since it was first released, back in about 1998, and I really should get around to building it, in the markings of my local R.Aux.AF squadron. The markings shown on the Eduard box art, are from what was my local R.Aux AF squadron, as I was born and raised in the north east of England.
The Spit 22/24 didn't see wartime service, although 80 Sqn used them in the Far East post-war, where they saw some action.
Not sure if GB entries have to be WW2 warbirds in use post war (I think that's the intention, and it's the way I interpret the GB title), so worth checking to see what the other judges think.

Not sure if GB entries have to be WW2 warbirds in use post war (I think that's the intention, and it's the way I interpret the GB title), so worth checking to see what the other judges think.

Hmmm... interesting point Terry! I read "Post-War Warbirds" to mean military aircraft that flew after WW2 and leading up to the next conflict (Korean War). The description doesn't say "WW2 warbirds" but instead "WW2 types" and I think that opens up the GB to planes that did not actually see service in WW2 but were postwar developments of WW2 aircraft such as the later Mustangs and Spitfires.

Wouldn't it be very difficult to determine whether or not a particular aircraft served in WW2? This restriction would disqualify a number of aircraft being discussed in this thread including the Mosquito PR.35 (manufactured in '46), the Dominican P-51 (if it was manufactured after WW2) and the Spitfire 22/24 as well as some interesting potential subjects such as the Bearcat, Fury, Avia S-199, etc.

I agree with John's interpretation in post 12.

Cory, I can help with detail pics of your Seafire. We have one here in Calgary.

IMG_1855.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back