GB-37 1/48 Do 17Z-2 - Helicopters / Military a/c of BoB 1940

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Donivanp

Captain
Feb 23, 2014
Katy Texas
Name: Don Phillips
User Name: Don
Category: Intermediate
Scale: 1/48
Subject: ICM Dornier Do 17Z-2
OOB Build save for Techmod decals.

I built the old Airfix/MPC in 1/72 many many years ago when i was young. I was always fascinated by how skinny this plane was and where did the bomb load go. Though the aircraft had a rather light load, it generally carried several smaller bombs in its double bomb bay (weapons bay). Dubbed the "Flying pencil" it was to have been a fast mail service plane. Rejected by Lufthansa and rolled away in a hangar it was discovered by the Luftwaffe and brought into service as a bomber. Though it performed well in Spain and Poland, as with the rest of the Luftwaffe's order of battle, it suffered greatly in the face of determined resistance in the BoB.

I plan on doing F1+FS of 8/KG76 France September 1940.

DO1.jpg
Do2.jpg
do3.jpg
do4.jpg
do5.jpg
do6.jpg
do7.jpg
do8.jpg
do9.jpg
do10.jpg

I have a profile book and while the D0 17 is mentioned en the early war in many books, I find it hard to find a lot of detail information on the subject, which leaves me at the hands of ICM as to how accurate it is. It looks pretty good but as we all know, "the truth is in the pudding", How well does it build. I am looking forward to it.

do13.jpg
do14.jpg
do15.jpg
do16.jpg

Good one Don, and a very nice kit.
I have this one in the stash, to add to my "BoB - Hardest Days" collection (one of 29 models, 20 of which are Luftwaffe !), so I'll be watching this build.
I'll be entering the other new ICM kit, the He-111.

Yep, I have two of the Revell / Monogram He-111s, one of which will be converted from the later H-22 with V1, to either an H-3 model, or possibly to a He111P.
The new ICM kit is very nice indeed - I posted a review not long ago, as soon as the kit was released.

As it's only just started, I don't have any objections Don.
Let's see what the general opinion is, but I reckon you should be good to go.

No objections here Don but don't bit off more than you can chew yet. Up to you but I would wait til this one is close to done before launching into the other as they are both large projects.

Ok so it Feb 1, and I'm still waiting on replacement decals for my He 162. So here goes.

First off, the fit seem to be really good so far. I've started working the interior and and I'm building all the RLM 02 items then I'll shoot the whole interior and work from there. May not be the best but it's what I'm doing.

I find the instructions to be a bit difficult. I'm having to look at the step, look at the kit pieces, and look at the step again and then look at the next one or two steps to see where the part is to fit. Once you get the hang of it, it's not bad

doint2.jpg

For instance, step one A11, The radios, did not seem clear to me. I had to look at step 6 and fiddle with the part to find the correct placement. I've had to this quite a bit.

Left fuselage half
doint1.jpg

Once you get the hang of how to read and check yourself, the instruction are ok but could be much better.

Like I said all is RLM 02 interior grey green.

Pilots seat
doint4.jpg
doint7.jpg

Right fuselage half
doint9.jpg

The weapons bay
doint10.jpg
doint11.jpg

There are some very dellicut parts as in the stand for the seat below. It was broken on the tree, so I'll have to do my best to mend it.

doint12.jpg

Good stuff Don.
I also thought the instructions were a bit lacking, but having gone through them quite a few times, I think it's more to do with the complex shape of the fuselage sections, and the way the parts have to fit to look accurate.

Yes Terry it is very much the odd shape of the fuselage. It throws be for a loop as I'm looking for a vertical fit and it a triangle shaped fuselage.

So I got a little further in the starting. I'm sure that if not now someone with think this needs a resin aftermarket cockpit, I don't believe so. They did a pretty good run for it at the start. IMHO that is.
Rt half fuselage cockpit. Instrument panel, (Not shown) is painted RLM 66 per kit instructions, there is a nice set of instrument dial decals for it.
doint13.jpg

doint14.jpg

Lft half fuselage. Not much color called for here. Just the RLM 02. I don't have could not find much on the Do 17 and near nothing on the interior. so I am relying on the kit instructions.
doint15.jpg

Weapons bay area.
doint16.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back