GB-37 1/48 HH-53C Super Jolly Green Giant - Helicopters / Military a/c of BoB 1940

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Donivanp

Captain
Feb 23, 2014
Katy Texas
Username: Donivanp
First name: Don
Category: Intermediate
Scale: 1/48
Manufacturer: Revell
Model Type: HH-53C
Aftermarket add on: CMK 4279 US M134 Minigun

In the true spirit of this GB, and that I am on the nearing end of the He111 and Do17, I thought I would throw one more coal into the fire and hope I can have it done by deadline.

10126650a2.jpg

Though the kit comes with a jeep and 105mm howitzer, I won't be doing them!

In 1967 the USAF was looking for a better, more stable platform with longer range and speed to take of Combat Search and Rescue (CSAR) operations from the CH-3 Jolly Greens. What they got was the Sikorsky HH-53B first deployed in 1967. The C model was an update of the B with better armor protection and extended range.

This heavy lift helicopter is one of the largest ever built being 88 feet long and a 72 foot 6 bladed rotor, it has a 20000 lb lift capacity which can be internal or from a sling or both. Armed with 3 7.62 miniguns, one each forward right and left and one aft on the lower clam shell it had a potent sting, but it alway flew in pairs and was covered by two to four A-1 Sandy's. Flying with an MC-130 as call singe King the airborne commander, refueled the Jolly's going in and coming out of the recovery zone. During the Vietnam conflict more then 3000 rescues were accreted to the Jolly crews while some 71 PJ's gave there all to rescue the downed airmen.

Thus there motto: That others may live!

View: https://youtu.be/NkCq6Km92VA

that othersmaylive.jpg

HC-130_refueling_HH-53Cs_1987rs.JPEG

hh-53rs.JPG

hhhoverrs.JPG

Thanks guy for stopping in and the great commits. The first thing you notice when you start this is how massive this aircraft is. At 88 feet in length and a 72 foot rotor span it is larger then most WWII aircraft save for the heavies, and it can puck up most fully loaded heavies!

I am starting off bu assembling the exterior items. The kit dates for 1981 and is a Revell kit from orginan. Don't get me wrong, but Monogram always put more thought and effort into their kits then Revell. Though often they cam with the same subjects (1/48 B-17F for Revell and G for Monogram) the Monogram kit had much more to it. Parts are pretty much interchangeable. This show the same lack of insight as though you have an open cargo bay, there is little interior detail and it will have to be built up. The cockpit is the same and there is not after market to help fix it. That means i'll be trying some scratch building and seeing if I'm any good at it.

The USAF HH-53B/C (B's were brought up to C standard later in their career) were based on the Navy's CH-53 Sea Stallion. Latter still they were upgraded to MH-53J/M Pave Low standard. The kit I purchased a few years back around 2010 time frame when it was re released. I wanted to combine the interior of the Academy MH-53E Sea Dragon with this kit but did not get very far and then sold my two Sea Dragons, Now I could kick myself as I got them at close out prices from Hobby Lobby at $35 US each. (Half off). So anywho, here we go.

Timeline for HH-53C Super Jolly Green Giant, Revell 85-4542 (2010)
Here compared to the Do17Z I'm doing.
thumbnail (31).jpg
thumbnail (6).jpg

Installing the sponson's and cut out the right side door.
thumbnail (4).jpg

Interior of a 53 (Flicker)
4158717456_bd4e59f3f2_z.jpg

Parts is parts, compared with today's kits were you can build a working axial flow jet with afterburner (re heat for the Brits) that won't melt the plastic and then hide it so it will never be seen, they give you an exhaust cover and no interior at all, gotta figure something out for that!
thumbnail (3).jpg
thumbnail (5).jpg

Note the size of the tail rotor, it's like twice the size of the props that go in the Do.
thumbnail (7).jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back