GB 37 Discussion (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Crimea_River

Marshal
Nov 16, 2008
Calgary
I just noticed that we don't seem to have start dates for the last three GB's but going by the established pattern, it would seem that the Helicopter GB 37 should be starting on Feb 1. While there are some who have indicated they will be participating with a chopper build, others, me included, would pass on this one unless we split the theme to allow helicopters as well as another theme.

I recall that there was some support to the idea of throwing in a Battle of Britain theme as part of a split GB 37. Do we have consensus on that? Does anyone feel strongly about not doing that? Other suggestions?

Let's get the ball rolling to agree on how to proceed on this one.

I have a helicopter kit I could do, but I don't really want to do it yet,and I would much prefer to do one or more BoB subjects, especially as i have around a further 27 models to do for my BoB collection.
Perhaps split the GB, as has been done before, with helicopters/rotary wing and BoB period aircraft ?
This would allow virtually any aircraft, of any nation, which was in operational service on a battle front, between July 10th 1940 and October 31st 1940.

Yes, that would expand the possibilities for sure and I'd go for that. Don't know why, but I got myself an AM Fairey Battle (price was very good) and I could do that.

I have no objections to a BoB split theme. I could do either. I have a an airfix 1/72 westland scout which I want to paint iin RAN colours. I'm trying to get my hands on a Sycamore as well

I also have an incomplete Sea King Kit. if I can get my hands on a tail in 1/72 scale I could build another sea king.

for the BoB build I have a 1/72 Tamiya spitfire mkI

I thought we had until the end of February before the current build ends?

Yes Michael, the current GB (GB36) finishes at the end of February. There is always a one-month overlap of GBs, so the next GB (GB37) starts on 1st February.

Well, to be clear, Terry suggested not just BoB but any aircraft flying during that period (July 10 to Oct 31 1940) for any country.
"on a battle front." though so it does limit choices somewhat.

I have the old Airfix !:24 scale Hurricane Mk.I which I am strongly leading towards should this split proceed. Built one as a kid some 45 odd years ago. I trust I can do her better this time around.

Jeff

Don't forget that Italy joined the war in June 1940, with fighting in North Africa, so there's possibilities there, too.
And, of course, there were other operational aircraft, for example from RAF Coastal and Bomber Commands, and the Royal Navy, as well as Luftwaffe coastal aircraft and transports, in Europe and Scandinavia, plus training and communications aircraft from all combatant nations .................

Last edited:
Not if it's agree upon that it should be "on a battle front", but let's see what the overall consensus is.

I have a CH-47 to be converted to an RCAF CH-113 Labrador. Just have to make sure I can find the decals. Not sure if I have anything in the BoB category. I do have a Spitfire Mk.I but that is going to be built as a 57OTU bird and I think this was in late '41 or '42. I do have a Defiant but I need to research this and find out if a Canadian flew during the appropriate period

20180114_113454.jpg

Great choice !
I have that kit to do as one of the Do 17s lost on the Kenley raid, and the old Hobbycraft kit too. Not sure what to enter first, as there are three He-111s, two Do17s, another Ju-88, seven more Bf109s, two more Bf110s, and a Ju-87 to add to my BoB collection - then there's the RAF component ................

Well, if trainers can be considered then the "battle front" term would be loosely applied, in which case I'd say there's a case for US neutrality patrols as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back