GB-43 1/32 Polikarpov I-16 Type 24 - Aces' Aircraft of All Eras

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Lucky13

Forum Mascot
Aug 21, 2006
In my castle....
Username: Lucky 13
First name: Jan
Category: Intermediate
Scale: 1/32
Manufacturer: Revell (ICM)
Model Type: Polikarpov I-16 Type 24
Aftermarket Add Ons: None, I think....

1112856-20006-87-pristine (1).jpg

qE6mzY.png

i16rs82.jpg

Born on November 16, 1912 in the village of Kamenka, now the Volkhov District of the Leningrad Region, in a peasant family. He graduated from 7 classes of secondary school. He worked as an instructor Osoaviahima Volkhov city. Since 1933, serving in the Navy. In 1940 he graduated from the Yeisk Naval Aviation School for Pilots.

Since June 1941, Lieutenant V. F. Golubev in the active army. Fought as part of the Baltic Fleet Air Force, participated in the defense of the Hanko Peninsula.

By June 1942, the squadron commander of the 4th Guards Fighter Aviation Regiment (61st Fighter Aviation Brigade, Red Banner Baltic Fleet Air Force) Guards Captain V.F. Golubev made 339 combat sorties, participating in 61 air combat, shot down 4 aircraft in person and 23 - in a group.

October 23, 1942 for the courage and bravery shown in battles with enemies, was awarded the title Hero of the Soviet Union.

Total made 589 successful combat missions. In 133 air battles destroyed 39 enemy aircraft in person and as part of a group.

After the war, continued to serve in aviation. In 1951, after graduating from the Naval Academy, he commanded the aviation division. Since 1971 - Senior Lecturer at the Academy of the General Staff. Since 1975, General - Lieutenant of Aviation V. F. Golubev - in reserve. Honorary citizen of Syasstroy village, Volkhovsky district of Leningrad region. The author of the books: "School of War", "Wings are getting stronger in battle", "Second Wind", "Ahead of the Commissioner", "In the name of Leningrad" and others. He died on April 17, 2001.

He was awarded orders: Lenin (twice), Red Banner (seven), World War 1 degree (twice), Red Star (twice), "For serving the Motherland in the Armed Forces of the USSR" 3rd degree, the highest military orders of the Republic of Egypt and Great Britain; many medals.

One of the most successful pilots of the Baltic Fleet Air Force, Vasily Golubev, went through the Great Patriotic War from the first to the last day, from an ordinary pilot to the commander of the 4th Guards Fighter Aviation Regiment, participated in all operations of the Baltic Fleet Air Force. During this time, he proved himself a talented commander, carefully planning every combat sortie and operation in the air, taking into account all the tactical weaknesses of the enemy and meticulously examining the mistakes of the pilots of his unit.

He was born in 1912 in the village of Kamenka, near Leningrad. Since childhood, was accustomed to work. By age 14 he was already confidently coping with the plow. After graduating from 7 classes, Vasily, on the advice of his father, went to Leningrad to get a job at the factory. Even then, the young man dreamed of heaven when he arrived in North Palmyra made the first attempt to enter a military theoretical school. He was not accepted - too young. After 2 years of work in the paper mill - a new attempt. And again - failure. This time the medical commission rejected it.

However, the desire to fly is not lost. In 1933, Vasily voluntarily joined the Red Army, and, having been sent to airborne troops, served for 2 years. There he was qualified as a parachute instructor. But he was attracted by airplanes. On the permit of the Komsomol, Vasily went to Duderhof, where he was enrolled as a cadet of a flight - glider school. Here Golubev mastered not only the glider. On his own initiative, he thoroughly studied the U-2 aircraft, flew on it independently.

In 1936, after graduating from school, he was assigned to Syasstroy, to the position of instructor in a parachute-glider club, where he worked for 2 years. In the spring of 1938, he was sent to retrain at the Koktebel Higher Flight Glider School of the Central Council of Osoaviakhim, and then he was appointed a pilot — an instructor of the flying club in Mineralnye Vody. There he flew a lot on U-2, UT-1, UT-2 airplanes and taught others.

An experienced and capable pilot, he firmly decided to become a military aviator, to master more powerful and high-speed airborne vehicles. In 1939, V. Golubev entered the Naval Aviation School in Yeisk. In the entrance exams, he received excellent marks in all subjects. And when they checked his flight training in the air, they immediately enrolled in the last course and were allowed to fly an I-15 fighter on their own. He graduated from this college with honors in 1940.

Since that time, began his permanent service in aviation. At first he was a fighter pilot, a parachute commander of the airborne service, and a flight commander of the 13th separate squadron of the Red Banner Baltic Fleet Air Force. He began the war as part of a separate aviation brigade, and in October 1941 he was transferred to the 13th Fighter Aviation Regiment, which later became the 4th Guards Regiment. Vasily Golubev and his fighting friends became like this regiment and until the end of the war in his ranks they smashed the enemy on land and at sea.

It is significant that the first combat mission to repel the attack of German aircraft on the Kronstadt naval base Golubev performed at 4 am on June 22, 1941. From now on, departures towards the enemy followed one after another, day and night. The main task of the sea pilots was considered air cover of Leningrad on the far and near approaches.

He began to fight on the I-16 with the tail number "13". But the 13th did not bring good luck to Golubev. He won his first victory on June 28, 1941, knocking out a German Ju-88 bomber. In early July, his victim was the fighter Me-109E. Then began a streak of bad luck.

July 13, he attacked the German planes in the forehead, taking them for the Ju-88. However, it turned out to be twin-engined heavy fighters Me-110 with powerful nose armament. As a result, Golubev's "Ishachok" was shot down and the pilot, all bathed in oil, barely managed to land at his airfield. After this incident, the mechanic Bogdanov suggested correcting the fighter's tail number to "14", but Golubev refused ...

Reliable presenter Vasily Golubev, when meeting with the enemy, always sought to build a group's battle order so as to retain the initiative before the start of an air battle or strike on a ground object. Therefore, he always went out of battle victorious. And, as a rule, had no losses. Great importance was attached to mutual assistance in battle. An example of this was given by the presenter himself. At the critical moment of contact with enemy aircraft, he rescued the slaves more than once, saving them from defeat.

When Vasily Fedorovich Golubev, after the war, was asked to speak in front of young warriors, he turned over the episodes of the war years in his memory and thought: "Where to start?" And, as a rule, he began the story from the first battles. Well, at least from the one that took place on July 26, 1941, when Golubev flew on reconnaissance and his slave lieutenant Zotov's car hit the anti-aircraft gun. Management was damaged, Zotov could only fly in a straight line.

Having lost the ability to maneuver, the fighter ceases to be a fighter. Maneuvering in air combat is like a weapon. Therefore, it is not difficult to understand what the pilot experienced when he saw 4 Messers in front of him. Golubev found himself in an unenviable position. If he was alone, it would be easier. And then fight off 4 German fighters and do not move a step away from your friend.

The Germans immediately guessed that something was wrong with the Soviet machine. Not for nothing, it flies only in a straight line. With it, they started. The nearby Messer was preparing to open fire. But Golubev was ahead of him. I managed to catch a sight ...

This could seem like luck - and nothing more. Luck, of course, also happen, but the instant victory won by Golubev was explained entirely differently - by his exceptional accuracy. Vasily Fedorovich was called the air sniper before the war. He practiced a lot to learn to hit the target from the first stage. After the attacks of Golubev, the towing plane dropped a holed air target to the airfield.

And the enemy plane was a little more training target. As soon as the "Messer" found himself in the sight, as the next second he began to fall. The three others understood who they were dealing with. They still tried to attack the Soviet aircraft, but not too aggressively. Every time Golubev turned on them, the Messers avoided his counterattack. And they became quite cautious as the front line approached. Fly it the Germans did not. Zotov was able to safely land a padded car on the airfield.

While he was landing, Golubev carefully guarded him. Unlinked at the front line, the Messers sometimes appeared suddenly over the airfield to sneak off. The fuel on the plane Golubev was short, and he should hurry to land. And he, in order to protect his comrade, circled in the air.

Since we are talking about combat earnings, let's remember what happened on August 10, 1941. Then the lead was not Golubev. Six of our fighters were commanded by another pilot. He got into trouble: when the group was leading an unequal battle with 16 enemy fighters, the group commander seriously wounded him and he decided to bring the car to the airfield. However, as soon as he left the battlefield, a pair of Messers immediately followed him. This saw Vasily Golubev. In such cases, there is no better defense than an attack. Golubev went on the attack. The Germans had to fight with him. This Golubev just wanted. He took the blow and gave the wounded commander the opportunity to withdraw from the battlefield.

What happened the next day, August 11th, also speaks about how comrade Vasily Golubev was. Above the Weymarn station (this is between Volosovo and Kingisepp) a heavy air fight ensued. Our fighters shot down 4 "Messer". The Soviet plane crashed into the ground. However, the pilot managed to jump out with a parachute. Seeing this, the enemies rushed to the white dome ...

Golubev covered him in the full sense of the word. The wings of the pigeon car became a roof over the head of the descending pilot. "Messers" tried to hit the side - Golubev blocked his comrade with a hail of bullets. What happened next? This is quite difficult to talk about. To the ground there were 30–40 meters, and from above — 4 Me-109. So get out. The only advantage is the low height. Usually, in a dogfight, the advantage is of the one who is taller, and then it turned out the opposite. The Germans chased Golubev with great caution: at such a height one could crash into the ground. But Golubev could not continue this "carousel" for a long time - the fuel was running out. When he broke away from his pursuers with a sudden maneuver and sat down at the nearest airfield, a few drops of gasoline remained in the tank.

An even hotter air battle soon broke out in the region of the same Weimarn railway station, where the train with the militia was unloading. From experience, Lieutenant Golubev knew that the enemy bombers assigned to the echelon can have a strong fighter cover. At his request, the squadron commander added 2 more fighters to the two 3-aircraft units, and thus created 2 tactical groups of 4 vehicles each in pairs. And it fully justified itself in battle.

Patrolling over the station, the pilots discovered the approach of a large group of "Junkers". They walked in three columns on a ten in each under the cover of 12 "Messers". So, 8 of our I-16 against 42 German Ju-88 and Me-109! This did not bother Golubev. It was necessary to stun the enemies with something. And the presenter decided to rapidly attack the armada of the bombers with his four lines of "front" on a head-on course, which the Germans were very afraid of. They could not withstand such a mental attack, they began to turn away. The calculation was justified. Our pilots immediately shot down 2 Ju-88 with accurate fire of rockets and machine guns.

The structure of the first enemy column began to disintegrate. Bombs fell on the field far from the station. Also, the second and third columns of enemy bombers were attacked and scattered. The actions of the Golubev group, reflecting the attacks of the Messers, were covered from above by the driven lieutenant D. Knyazev. In an unequal battle, our pilots shot down 11 enemy aircraft without losing a single one of their own.

As early as August 13, 1941, that is, in a relatively short time, there were more than 100 combat sorties on his account, of which 45 were on bombing - assault strikes. Participating in many air battles, he personally and together with his friends shot down 11 enemy vehicles - 4 Ju-88 bomber, reconnaissance aircraft FW-189 (nicknamed "Rama") and 6 Me-109 fighters.

On August 13, 1941, the six I-16 set off to cover the Weinmar railway station. Planes patrolled at an altitude of only 1,200 to 1,500 meters, and this tactical blunder cost the pilots dearly. Ten Me-109s attacked them from above - the slave Golubev was shot down, and Vasily himself, who was wounded in the leg, put the car on the fuselage with difficulty. The plane was broken, and the pilot landed a month in the hospital.

golubev1.jpg

In mid-September 1941, Vasily Golubev returned to his unit, but the 9 remaining fighter regiments by this time had already flown to the airfield in Nova Ladoga. However, two damaged I-16s with removed armament remained at the airbase, which were repaired by evening. On them Golubev together with his friend F. Zotov set off to overtake the regiment.

On the way, unarmed airplanes were attacked by the Messers, and Golubev's fighter was again shot down, splashed down on the surface of Lake Ladoga. Golubev completely exhausted, barely got to the shore, went out on a deserted cape.

The situation seemed hopeless. The incident reported to the command. And then Golubev's combat partner, Dmitry Knyazev, whom Vasily rescued more than once, rushed to find him on the U-2. And found a friend!

At the new place, Golubev again got an I-16 with the number "13", but this time Bogdanov could not stand it and quickly corrected the figure to "ZZ". From now on, the Baltic pilot constantly flew in cars with this designation.

September 24, 1941 to repel the assault of Leningrad by the enemy troops, all the forces that we have were thrown into battle. VF Golubev recalls:

- On that day, Dmitry Tatarenko and I made 8 sorties each. And on September 25, they set a kind of record by completing 11 sorties each: 6 to support the attack aircraft and 5 to attack the enemy troops. To carry out 19 sorties in 2 days and remain combat-ready when thousands of bullets, shrapnel and shells were whistling around — and this now seems like a miracle to me ...

At the beginning of October, Golubev, among 6 pilots, was seconded to the Hanko Peninsula for the defense of the fleet and Kronstadt from attacks by Finnish and German aircraft. Here the manner of battle of the future ace, based on the traditions of Antonenko and Brinko, was clearly manifested. Golubev himself described it this way:

- "Junkers" began to leave to the east. I choose one, go up to 400 meters, send two shells. Close to a short sniper distance, the arrows of the "Junkers" are silent, apparently both are killed. A long line of three machine guns flashing the enemy's plane from tail to cockpit. Ju-88, slowly falling on the wing, goes down. Near the positions of our troops on earth a fireball swells....

At the end of October, Golubev shot down two Finnish trophy fighters I-153, which fairly annoyed the Soviet fleet, and on November 2, 1941, he single-handedly fought four Finnish "Spitfires" from LeLv.32 and recorded one victory (according to other sources either Hurricanes or MS-406.).

After the capitulation of Finland, Golubev had a chance to talk in Malmo with the Finnish pilot who participated in that battle. Finn said that two of the three remaining Spitfires crashed when they returned to base. However, other sources refute these facts: according to Tietoteos, that day Finland, in general, did not lose a single Spitfire.

In the last months of 1941, the 13th IAP suffered heavy losses in the defense of the "Roads of Life" across Lake Ladoga. Partly to blame for this were the German "hunters" from JG 54, who flew on the Me-109F. For example, in early December, the regiment lost two pilots, shot down because of their own carelessness.

Last edited:
golubev12.jpg

VF Golubev at his I-16. Autumn 1942

On December 7, the four I-16s, being at a disadvantageous position under the clouds, were attacked by the "hunters" on the way home. Two pilots were injured, and one died crashing into the ground with an airplane. On the other hand, the tactically illiterate conduct of battles by the leadership of the regiment affected. Only on January 1, the 13th IAP lost 5 pilots who were out of action due to injury, 3 fighters burned down and 7 were damaged.

This overwhelmed the patience of their superiors, and the regiment commanders were completely replaced. Vasily Golubev, as an experienced fighter, received the post of squadron commander. From that moment on, he could implement his own tactical ideas and battle formations practically without interference. I-16s began to fly in pairs, echeloned at different heights. He proposed attacking the enemy on a collision course. All combat missions were thoroughly disassembled at the pre-flight briefing. The results affected very quickly - his 3rd squadron became the best in the regiment.

For a while Golubeva was occupied by the tactics of the actions of the German "hunters". Vowing to be the first to destroy the Messerschmitt together with his unit, he soon came to the conclusion that the Germans, as a rule, attack either inattentive pilots or groups of planes returning from a combat mission without ammunition. They paid special attention to the wounded and injured "wounded".

On March 12, 1942, Vasily Fedorovich shot down 2 fighters from the staff staff of the famous German fighter squadron JG 54, piloted by Unther - officer Heinz Bartling (67 victories) and his follower - Lieutenant Herman Leishte (26 wins). At the same time, both German pilots were killed.

On that day, the I-16 group was returning to the airfield after storming the railway station. Fully retaining ammunition, Golubev on the way back left the line and simulated the flight of a damaged aircraft. After some time, two black dots appeared on the horizon - a pair of Me-109, noticing the fighter who had lagged behind, rushed after him at the fast and the furious. When the "hunters" approached a distance of about 1000 meters, the "damaged" I-16 suddenly turned sharply towards the enemy. Golubev recalled:

- That's when dozens of options and calculations for such a maneuver came in handy! I finish the turn at an altitude of about 500 meters, the enemy is much lower than me. He did not expect such a maneuver and was in a frontal attack. Both Messers, with their yellow noses raised, went at me, apparently believing that I was without ammunition and making a false attack. Dark trails from two Me-109F exactly stretch to my motor. In the sight of the leading "hunter", a distance of about 500 meters, and a half seconds left for everything, even for life. Three fiery trails of lightning pierced the thin body of the Messerschmitt, flashed below me about five meter....

The outbreak of a German fighter fell to the ground, and Golubev, turning around after the second Me-109, fired missiles with rockets. The enemy aircraft, which attempted to leave the slide, lost speed and, with a damaged tail, caught on the tops of the Christmas trees and lost planes, made a forced landing on the border of the airfield. His pilot, wounded by shrapnel, died a few minutes after landing. On the steering wheel of the driven "Messer" counted marks 26 victories. Thus, on the account of Golubev appeared the 14th and 15th downed aircraft.

golubev14.jpg

V.F.Golubev

In mid-March 1942, the 13th IAP was renamed the 4th Guards Fighter Aviation Regiment, and in April, fierce battles began ...

For two days in a row, on April 24 and 25, 1942, the enemy launched massive raids on Leningrad. The former Commander of the Red Banner Baltic Fleet, Vice-Admiral V.F. Tributs, recalls:

- Enemy airplanes appeared over our hulls, which were parked on the Neva, the situation was difficult. We did not have the ability to quickly change the positions of the ships - strong ice was on the Neva. Baltic fighter pilots, reflecting enemy attacks, made several sorties a day On one of these days, 7 future pupils were led by the future Hero of the Soviet Union, Vasily Golubev. Suddenly, they met enemy bombers concealed by fighters. The forces were unequal, but the Balts, without hesitation, entered the battle and shot down nly machines. Golubev skillfully managed his pilots and personally destroyed enemy aircraft....

On May 16, the commander of the 4th Guviap Guard, Senior Lieutenant V.F. Golubev, at the head of the five I-16, conducted a very tough battle over the "Dear Life", in which 81 aircraft took part from the German side. In this battle, a Komesk shot down a German fighter and a bomber. For the bold and initiative actions of all 5 Soviet pilots received government awards.

Memorable for Vasily Golubev were fighting near Leningrad. On May 28, 1942, locators discovered several groups of enemy aircraft. 22 fighters of the 4th Guards IAP were raised to their reflection. The upper echelon occupied Golubev's squadron. She was assigned the task of chaining fighter jets. And the main armada of the enemy consisted of up to 80 bombers: Ju-88 and Not-111, accompanied by 24 Me-109 fighters. It turned out 5-fold superiority of the enemy!

In the sky over Kobona, a heavy and long battle ensued. Losing airplanes from the fire of our anti-aircraft artillery and fighters, the Germans at first persistently repeated their visits to the ships of the flotilla and the transshipment base. And only having lost 33 cars, stopped the raid. Squadron Golubeva then destroyed 4 bomber and 2 fighter.

Furious with their failures, the Germans on the following night tried to destroy the ships of the flotilla. In the raid, 3 columns of Ju-87 dive bombers took part under the cover of fighters. Komesk Golubev foresaw such an attack and knowing that the "Junkers" were bombing, guided by the leader, again attacked one of the columns on the counter course. His comrades did the same, using rockets and machine-gun fire. Several "Junkers", before reaching the goal, collapsed into the water of Ladoga. The rest, fearing a frontal attack, and left without completing the assignment.

During these 2 days the Guards repelled 3 raids. The enemy threw more than 280 aircraft with the task of sinking the main forces of the Ladoga military flotilla and the transport vessels of the North - West Parakhodia, but failed. In these battles Golubev managed to shoot down 3 bomber and 1 fighter.

The very next day, the commander of the Red Banner Baltic Fleet, Vice Admiral V.F. Tributs, congratulated the pilots on combat success and, with his order, gave all the participants ahead of time the military ranks. Three officers: Golubeva, Baysultanov and Kozhanov - presented to the rank of Hero of the Soviet Union. By decree of the Presidium of the Supreme Soviet of the USSR of October 23, 1942, V. F. Golubev was conferred this high rank.

In the fall of 1942, Vasily Golubev was appointed deputy commander of the 4th Guards Regiment. The regiment still fought on the I-16, although the time of these brisk monoplanes has long passed. From the end of December, the newest FW-190A-4 fighter jets appeared in service with the JG 54, which greatly complicated the air situation for the Soviet air force. Nevertheless, in January 1943, the Baltic ace managed to destroy 2 Fokker vaunters on the "Ishachka".

So, on January 9, 1943, Vasily Golubev, who headed the four I-16 type 29, attacked FW-190, painted in white camouflage color, in the area of Lake Ladoga and destroyed it. The second fighter, damaged by the slave Golubev, disappeared into the clouds and was lost by them (when landing on the fuselage, this Fokker crashed north - east of Mgi).

In the same month, the regiment was finally removed from the front for the development of new fighters La-5. He returned back to Leningrad only 2 months later. The number of victories Golubeva steadily increased.

On April 13, V.F. Golubev scored 2 victories at once on the new La-5 fighter, recently entered service with the regiment. In tandem with the slave, the chief of staff of the 61st brigade of the Red Banner Baltic Fleet air force, Colonel Katkov, he flew free to the area of the Porzolovo swamps near Leningrad. North of the village Carefree Baltic found two groups of FW-190, maneuvering higher and to the side.

Habrav height, Golubev attacked the enemy link from behind and from a distance of 400 meters opened fire. One fighter was damaged and began to turn the lapel with a roll to the left, substituting the entire wing area for the La-5 trunks. The second cannon turn finished off "Fokker". The commander of the 2 staffs JG 54 Ober - Lieutenant Count Siegfried Mother (29 victories) failed to leave the corking fighter, which fell into a minefield and exploded. Meanwhile, Golubev, continuing the battle, destroyed another fighter. non-commissioned officer Theodore Wolfan (17 victories) jumped out with a parachute and was captured.

On April 21, 1943, Golubev shot down 2 Finnish Fiat G-50bis fighters, and in May 3 Ju-88 and 1 Me-109 fell victim to it.

At this time, the regiment's pilots on the few remaining I-16s often took off for night patrols, incidentally storming the enemy's searchlight and anti-aircraft installations, leading the fight against U-2 light bombers. On June 30, Vasily Golubev first flew into the air on La-5 at night. Intercepting and destroying the German reconnaissance aircraft Ju-88, he was suddenly attacked during the landing by his own anti-aircraft artillery, which had not been warned in advance about the flight of an unfamiliar aircraft. The fighter was damaged, and the pilot, after a psychological shake-up, barely landed at the aerodrome.

This incident was very successfully commented by one of the cooks: "Damned anti-aircraft gunners! Go to the cinema, dance, but look at the airfield and see what our planes look like - they have no time."

In the summer of 1943, the workers and collective farmers of the Gorky Region acquired the whole squadron of fighters using the funds raised by them. These cars were delivered to the Air Force units on behalf of the countrymen of the great Soviet pilot, Hero of the Soviet Union Valery Chkalov. All of these fighters had the inscription - "Squadron" Valery Chkalov, "on one side of the fuselage.

In many cases, the machines had another inscription - "From the collective farmers and collective farmers of the Gorky region" - on the other side.

One of these cars, with tail number "33", was transferred to the 4th Guards Fighter Wing of the Red Banner Baltic Fleet Air Force in August 1943, to Vasily Golubev. On this plane, he scored a few more brilliant victories.

In a short time, on airplanes made for the funds of workers of the fields of the Gorky region, brave aviators shot down 34 enemy vultures. The newspaper "Red Baltic Fleet" presented a thematic page entitled "Listen, Gorky Collective Farmers!". The word was given to the Hero of the Soviet Union, Captain V. Golubev, Foreman V. Potapov, Captain E. Markunin and other masters of air combat, who told about the fight against German aircraft, about how they destroy the enemy in the sky and at sea. In conclusion, the newspaper wrote: "Let the Gorky collective farms know that the machines made with their money are in safe hands, let every victory made by our pilots please them.

At the end of 1943, Golubev took command of the 4th Guviap and, as one of the most efficient pilots, he was awarded the Order of the British Empire of the 4th degree. Unlike many other commanders, he continued to regularly fly out on combat missions.

golubev11.jpg

I-153 K.V. Solov'eva, 1942
Guard Lieutenant Colonel V. F. Golubev.

Learning about his military exploits, fellow countrymen - workers of the Volkhovsky district of the Leningrad region - collected 230 thousand rubles in cash and 500 thousand rubles in bonds for the building. The citizens of Volkhov wrote to Golubev: "We are sure that the fighter built by our means will mercilessly crush the German fascist invaders in your hands." The hero met the expectations of fellow countrymen.

In the winter of 1944, during the liquidation of the enemy blockade of Leningrad, the pilots of the Red Banner Baltic Fleet acted as always skillfully, decisively and resourcefully. Here are some examples. January 13, 1944 Golubev shot down his 36th aircraft - a multi-purpose Me-110.

In the winter of 1944, the enemy began to use the "One Hundred Tenths" on the Leningrad front as high-altitude reconnaissance aircraft. Soviet pilots immediately organized a hunt for them. On February 6, Golubev intercepted Me-110 reconnaissance at an altitude of about 8 km and, after a long pursuit, shot down at the exit from a dive - the Me-110 plowed a whole clearing in the forest. This was his 37th victory.

golubev13.jpg

P. S. Makeev, V. F. Golubev, designer S. A. Lavochkin, D. A. Kirillov.

On February 23, 1944, Guards Major V.F. Golubev led the four Lavochkins to cover the advancing troops of the Leningrad Front. When the fighters approached the front line, Golubev noticed an enemy reconnaissance aircraft Me-110 flying 1500 meters above our group. After warning the followers, Golubev began to climb steeply. The first well-aimed bursts, he lit the left engine "Messer". The shooter of the enemy aircraft opened fire, but Golubev, continuing to come closer, hit the shooter with a short burst, and then brought the right engine out of the standing.

Now that the enemy was completely defenseless, Golubev opened fire almost at close range. The result was stunning. The Me-110 exploded, and Golubev's fighter turned over by a blast wave broke into a tailspin.

Having regained control of the fighter, a contused, deafened pilot with a damaged eardrum of the left ear nevertheless delivered to his base convincing evidence of his next victory. The engine hood of the mutilated fighter was pressed into the cylinders, and a piece of duralumin German aircraft crashed into the wing of the La-5 right up to the spar. Thus ended the 500th sortie of the Baltic ace. Me-110 shot down by it was the 3rd fighter of this type, brought down by Vasily Fedorovich from the beginning of the year, and the 38th victory from the beginning of the war.

On March 6, 1944, over the Gulf of Finland, the commander of the 4th Guards Regiment conducted another showdown with an ace from JG 54. In the eyes of his group's pilots, Vasily Fedorovich pressed the enemy to the water itself, forcing it to lose speed first . Having caught up with the Fokker on the hill, Golubev knocked him down. Ober - Lieutenant Gerhard Looz (92 victories) from I.JG 54 jumped out with a parachute and was captured by the crew of a minesweeper.

The war Vasily Golubev graduated from the Guard lieutenant colonel, commander of the 4th Guards Fighter Aviation Regiment, who for military service was awarded the Order of Ushakov 2nd degree. Almost 2 years Vasily Golubev commanded the regiment. Constantly flew himself, taught young pilots. The pilots of the famous regiment carried out 23,000 sorties, shot down 438 enemy aircraft, sank dozens of ships and ships, including a sentryman and a destroyer. During strikes against enemy troops, dozens of tanks, hundreds of cars, railway cars and other equipment were destroyed.

golubev9.jpg

Guard Lieutenant Colonel V. F. Golubev. 4th Guviap, spring 1945.

On June 28, 1944, he won his last victory by sending the FW-190 fighter into the water of the Gulf of Finland. And the last combat sortie performed near Königsberg, already on the new La-7 fighter.

By May 1945, Vasily Fedorovich Golubev made 589 (according to other sources - 546) successful combat missions and, participating in 133 air battles, destroyed 39 enemy aircraft in person and in a group with his comrades. [Some sources point to 16 personal and 23 group wins; M. Yu. Bykov in his research indicates 19 personal and 20 group victories of a pilot. ] Another plane shot down by Golubev fell right into the swamp and, due to the lack of material evidence, was not recorded on his battle account.

With the end of the war, V. F. Golubev continued to master the intricacies of his aviation profession. In 1951 he graduated from the command department of the Naval Academy. At the same time he was appointed commander of the air fleet of the Northern Fleet Air Force, where he organized a successful retraining of the flight crew to new fighter jets, and then to all-weather interceptors. Later, there was service in other responsible posts in the naval formations, air defense forces and outside the homeland.

At the invitation of the leadership of Egypt was a senior adviser on the air defense of this country in 1968 - 1970.

Since 1971, V.F. Golubev - Senior Lecturer at the Military Academy of the General Staff. And again, hard work: training students, writing textbooks, monographs, defending a Ph.D. thesis, making presentations in the departments of the Ministry of Defense and in the army.

Lieutenant-General V.F. Golubev resigned in 1976 as a reserve. But after that he continued to work actively. I met with young people, talked about the feats of aviators during the Great Patriotic War. Recently Golubev was fond of literary work. He published 11 books. Work on the next book did not have time to finish. On April 17, 2001, Vasily Fedorovich died.

Attachments

• golubev1.jpg
    golubev1.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 185
He had a nice looking La-5 as well....

golubev6.jpg

La-5 fighter from the 4th Guards Division of the Red Banner Baltic Fleet Air Force, on which
Guard - Captain V.F. Golubev fought in the spring - summer of 1943

....and La-7!

golubev7.jpg

La-7 where in the fall of 1944 the commander of the 4th Guards Regiment of the Red Banner Baltic Fleet of the Guard Lt. Col. V. F. Golubev flew.

But, that's another story!

Not the one to give up fellas....straight out the box, kit and paints in the mail, hopefully here this week!
Being that I've got another two ICM Polikarpovs and this being a ICM reboxed by Revell, it looks like a lot of fun!
See what it comes to, I mean, if things go well and you know....;) :lol:

IMG_20190804_201709.jpg

Great start Jan!

...And a question... Don't normally like to build the same types as others, but desperate to find a build I can make any headway on for once... would you mind if I was to steal your idea and do a 1:72 I-16? Was thinking of doing one of Capt. Boris Safonov's aircraft.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back