GB#43 Coming Soon to a Forum Near You!

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Hello---new here but I just received an A6M2a model 11 1/48 Hasegawa kit with decals for Saburo Sakai. It was before he was
an ace I believe. What are the rules and timeline for your group builds? Still finding my way around so excuse my ignorance. John

Gull GB Rules can be found lower down in the Group Builds section, marked with a yellow line. Further above this thread are the GB photo requirements.

Hello---new here but I just received an A6M2a model 11 1/48 Hasegawa kit with decals for Saburo Sakai. It was before he was an ace I believe. What are the rules and timeline for your group builds? Still finding my way around so excuse my ignorance. John

Everything should be here: Modellers Wanted! Group Build Invitation

If not, you can ask more in this thread.

I'm restarting my modeling, and using this group build to keep motivated. Decided that I would finally try a Tamiya kit. I am amazed at the detail and fit compared to the $5 kits I built back in the 80's. The acrylic paints are going to be a bit of a learning curve as well. This will be a beginner, out of the box 1/72 Spitfire Mk1a as flown by Eric Lock.
Microaces-Spitfire-MkIa-gives-to-Charity-590x346.png

I'm using the Xtradecals sheet for BOB spits, and their illustration of this plane shows it as the "A" scheme without serial numbers while above is the "B". I would have liked to do it this way because having the serial makes it look more typical but the decal sheet doesn't have any and I can't make one out of the others provided.
xtradecal.JPG

Now I would assume that both Xtradecals and the artist would have researched this and I am completely confused. The Heritage flight plane is painted as "B" with these squadron codes and it's serial is P7350.(which is correct for that airframe) All this came to light while finding an image of the plane. I think I will go with the "B" scheme as the RAF probably had a reason to paint it the way they did.
(Added images)

To be honest I don't see any pic above in the post #45. Also the link posted above ( post #46) shows Eric Lock's Spitfire Mk.V serial W3257 coded FY-E.

A couple of shots of EB-G possible N3162. Clearly seen the camouflage A type. Also please notice the lack of the serial.

EB-G_c.jpg

EB-G_b.jpg

EB-G_a.jpg

the pic source; Supermarine Spitfire Mk.I - 1:32 Tamiya/Revell/Hasegawa

Additionally, the P7350 wasn't the Mk.Ia but Mk.IIa according to the SAM Modellers Datafile production list. See below...

serial.jpg

the next his Spitfire Mk.Ia EB-Q serial R6885 with the camouflage B type.

Spitfire-MkIa-RAF-41Sqn-EBQ-Eric-Lock-R6885-England-1940-01.jpg

the pic source: Spitfire MkIa RAF 41Sqn EBQ Eric Lock R6885 England 1940 01

Regarding the Heritage flight plane I would be very very carefull about her. She has been wearing many robes in her entire life..

Spitfire_IIA_P7350_QJ-G.jpg

Spitfire_IIA_P7350_QJ-K.jpg

Spitfire_IIA_P7350_QV-B.jpg

Spitfire_IIA_P7350_XT-D.jpg

Spitfire_IIA_P7350_XT-L.jpg

the pic source: the Internet.

Thanks for the research, I'll be going with the "A" like the decal based on those movie frames. I have no idea where the images went. but added them in.

Last edited:
Thanks for the research, I'll be going with the "A" like the decal based on those movie frames. I have no idea where the images went. but added them in.

Now I can see the images. It is very likely these hadn't been attached correctly. Possible they weren't sent to our server at all. I checked on them and there was any trace of them here and there. Just you attached "empty" links. But no problem. All is fine now.

Perhaps the serials were removed from the photos by sensors of the time.

Also I agree on that. However it may be because the frame just omits that detail. Please notice the lack of the red central disc of the RAF roundel on the fuselage.

The pics were there in the original post in another thread and disappeared when he reposted here. I found another photo of two airborne 41 Squadron Spitfires from the same time frame and they were lacking serial numbers as well. Again, this may be due to the censors

The Battle of Britain Memorial Flight's aircraft (not Heritage Flight) is a Spitfire Mk.!!a, P7350, an actual veteran of the BoB, with three bullet hole patches too !
The BBMF re-paint their aircraft every couple of years, to represent aircraft from various Squadrons, so not a good source for markings, especially as the actual serial number is always retained.
Possibly that the censor removed the serial in wartime photos or film, although there was a period when some serials were over-painted, for security again.
The serial number provided in previous posts could well be the correct one - I'm away from home, so can't check my references for a couple of weeks.

Excerpt from my GB thread...................

NO, I know!!!!!!! it's the worst part of building.
I have too many bottles of paint I cannot use on Anything.
Tamiya, Vallejo, what the.

So I looked up painting my 262, came up with the same Tamiya colors as I found for the Spit, XF-81/82, except for XF-76 Pale Grey for the Underside.

Sometimes I just want to sub it my entries UNPAINTED!!!!!!!!!

The next frustrating thing is I can't find a printable Vallejo 71 series color chart, what the? Are they That precious???
I do wish there was a definitive color reference for colors used on Any aircraft?
I do have The Ultimate reference chart for FS colors, but it gets so convoluted for me to find RLM or FS color numbers for most aircraft. Kinda wish they were all NM metal finishes. But then it's bright aluminum, SS, and any number of metals inbetween......

I have finished venting..... thank you

Users who are viewing this thread

Back