GB-44 1/72 HS Andover C1 - Military A/C of post-war time

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Airframes

Benevolens Magister
Aug 24, 2008
Cheshire, UK
HS Andover C1, 46 Squadron, RAF, 1970's.

Username Airframes.
Name Terry.
Category Judge non-competing.
Model HS Andover C1
Kit S&M Models Andover C1 resin kit.
Scale 1/72nd
Accessories Decals from spare decals files and kit.

This will be one of two Andover models I've been commissioned to build for Grp.Capt Dougie Barr, of 46 Squadron Association, being serial number XS 603, as she appeared during the early 1970's. The second build will be the same airframe, in its later guise as a calibration aircraft with 115 Sqn, when painted in a colourful red and white scheme, which is for Dougie himself. Depending how this first build goes, and given enough time, the second model may also be entered into this GB.
The Andover was a twin turbo-prop military derivative of the very successful Avro 748 airliner, and served for many years as a tactical transport and paratrooping aircraft. Equipped with a tail gate and unique 'kneeling' undercarriage, large freight items, including vehicles up to the size of a Land Rover, could be easily loaded and air dropped, and there was a single paratroop exit door on the port side.
I only got to do one jump from an Andover, in Germany in 1973, and coincidentally it appears that Dougie was the Navigator on that sortie, and XS603 was very likely the aircraft used !
Although I've used resin detail items before, this will be the first time I've built an all resin kit, so new ground for me, with new techniques and skills to acquire. Although resin wheels and white metal landing gear and props are provided, Dougie wants the model to be finished "wheels up,", mounted on a plinth, so at least that should reduce a little of the work load.
Pic of the simple kit box below, and pics of the Andover and kit parts will follow in the next post.

Andover build No1 006.JPG

The pics below show Andover C1, XS601, sister ship of the subject aircraft, in the typical Middle East camouflage scheme of the period, being gloss Dark Earth, Mid Stone and black, and pics of the kit parts.
I hope to make a start on this in the next few days, and will post pics as I progress - or not, as the case may be !!

Andover 46 Sqn..jpg
Andover build No.1 003.JPG
Andover build No.1 004.JPG
Andover build No.1 008.JPG
Andover build No.1 009.JPG
Andover build No.1 010.JPG
Andover build No.1 017.JPG
Andover build No.1 018.JPG
Andover build No.1 020.JPG
Andover build No.1 024.JPG

Last edited:
Thanks Geo.
It was a very successful transport, and nice to jump from, rather like a modern-day C-47 / Dakota.

Thanks chaps.
I've made a start, cleaning and prepping the main parts, and installing the cabin windows. Not much to show just yet, as it's fairly slow work, but meanwhile, the pic below sows what the second model should look like. This is the same aircraft, after conversion to E3 calibration standard, and I may be able to get this one into the GB too.

Andover 115 Sqn..jpg

Last edited:
Slow work, but hope to have something worthwhile to show soon.
As can happen with large resin parts, there's some warping in the fuselage halves, so these have been immersed in hot water, and allowed to dry and straighten out.
When that's done, I can get back to work, and start on the (minimal) cockpit assembly, before the major, and I'm guessing slow job of joining the fuselage. This will need to be joined using two-part epoxy adhesive, to allow adjustment and a good joint, although I'm anticipating quite a lot of sanding along the joints once set.
I'll post some pics when the work is done on this stage, and meanwhile, I'll make a start on the Mirage.

Thanks very much my friend - a great set of photos of Dougie Barr's aircraft, in both guises.
They'll be very useful when I eventually get back to these builds - I need to have my hands working properly to be able to cope with the work on the resin parts, and I've been too stiff and sore lately.
Think I'll also send these to Dougie, as he may not have seen them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back