GB-46 1:72 Bristol Beaufighter - WW2 Eastern Front / Twin Engine A/C, Transports and Gliders

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

nsmekanik

Senior Airman
Apr 26, 2005
Nanton
Username: nsmekanik
First name: Tim
Category: intermediate
Manufacturer: Airfix
Model: Beaufighter TF.X
Scale: 1/72

IMG_2728.jpg

IMG_2729.jpg

Gonna do this one out of the box including decals, I've never had a problem with the Airfix decals, the kits, on the other hand, have had their issues.

First up is to glue the spars into position and let them set up. Next up is to realize that the base is warped and the spars are askew so using brute force, twist everything until some of the joints break loose and it straightens out, then re glue it.

IMG_2732.jpg

Fortunately I hadn't glued on all the innards before aforementioned discovery and once that issue had been rectified it was time to move on to adding those,

IMG_2733.jpg

Sadly, even though it is a newish kit, this means dealing with soft details and flash..........sigh

IMG_2734.jpg

Did I forget to mention the wings? There really isn't much to say, with a bit of careful cleanup the fit is good and the panel lines match up pretty well. If one is building the Aussie version then there are some holes to drill out for the rockets otherwise nothing too think about. The interior fit together well enough and will be more then adequate to the scale.

IMG_2735.jpg

Lately I've decided to add the aircrew as supplied where it is practical, ie. if the fit and don't look so much like vague bloby aliens......... pretty border line fit wise but the details are crisp enough.
IMG_2736.jpg

And with a little tweak he actually has both feet on the peddles........good to go.
IMG_2737.jpg

And last but not least are the ever present sink marks
IMG_2738.jpg

These are really only minor annoyances which, in my opinion, should not be there in these days of state of the art, but such is life.

And moving right along, I think it's nice when aircrew are supplied, it's even nicer when they have something to attach to........but hey ho no biggy I'm just happy to have them.

IMG_2760.jpg
IMG_2751.jpg
IMG_2752.jpg

The detail in the office is adequate for the scale, unfortunately the IP decal just looks bad, if I'd have thought about it I would have ordered a Yahoo panel, but as this is a kind of an impulse thing the decal will just have to do.
IMG_2753.jpg
IMG_2755.jpg

The tail wheel is reminiscent of a retro build, a solid piece with no clearly defined border between the hub and tire. It's there in a loose sort of way, which makes painting the tire such a joy, I figured I can't make things much worse by cutting a grove and carving out the fork, so I did. I painted it in Tamiya's aluminum lacquer but it looked more like silver plastic then silver plastic does, after a bit of weathering it looks OK but for the main gear I think I'll try something different.

IMG_2757.jpg

IMG_2758.jpg

And we all know where this is headed..........

IMG_2767.jpg

To be honest with a bit of creative slicing it would be possible to add the tail wheel at a latter point but I got lazy

Thank you, ya they do now that I look at them.......

The engines fit nicely, I didn't take any pics of assembling things so I'll just say true up the ring on the back cylinders and everything fits nicely, leave the front cylinder bank off for ease of painting. Unfortunately the seam runs through one of the cooling fins so that needs to be cleaned up.......

IMG_2765.jpg

IMG_2763.jpg

The hole at the back of the engine where it attaches to the wing needs to be reamed out a bit, once that's done it's a solid mounting point.

IMG_2766.jpg

Since the seam at the front of the cockpit was a touch on the nasty side I decided to attach the nose just to keep things even when sanding.

IMG_2768.jpg

One thing to watch out for is the molded on bits on the wing spar, you might notice that they have been shaved off parralel to the side of the floor, this is due to them interfering with the fit. Why they molded that detail on in the first place is beyond me as in order to see it when the floor is in place you have to crawl in there with a flash light so I didn't even bother touching up the paint.

IMG_2752.jpg

It takes a bit of twist to get things in but putting it together is doable, the bow in the floor was there before the nose was installed, it will have to be held in place when it's finally glued in place.

IMG_2769.jpg

IMG_2770.jpg

Here everything is loosely put together, the canopy fits perfectly as does the tail.

IMG_2771.jpg

IMG_2772.jpg

beers.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back