GB-47 (ABANDONED) 1:72 Spitfire Mk IXc - WW2 D-Day and After - Western Front

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

PlasticHero

Senior Airman
Jul 31, 2019
Pennsylvania, USA
Username: PlasticHero
First Name: Alan
Category: Intermediate
Scale: 1/72
Manufacturer: Eduard Spitfire Mk.IXc late
Extras: None
box.jpg

sprue1.jpg

sprue2.jpg

I will be doing NN M; serial MH819 of 310 Squadron, Appledram air base mid June 1944. This kit has a ton of options, with different wing tips, rudders, elevators, bombs, tanks, canopies, bulkheads and other details.

I have this decal sheet from Xtradecal 72196. It is 1/72 and the 70th Anniversary D-Day Pt3 and is complete. I was going to use it in this build, but after it arrived, I saw that the Mustangs didn't have the fillet at the tail. To pay it forward, I'll send this sheet to anyone in the US who pm's me their address.
decal1.jpg

Besides, I decided I need another Spit.

I thought they (Academy) did, wasn't sure if I was remembering wrong. Which brand/ marque of Spitty do you need?

My long term plan is to have a representative of all the Spitfire marks. Now I've seen pictures of "complete collections" and it's dozens of models. I only want to show MAJOR changes. I have the prototype and the BOB; I want the longer nose on this one; a contra prop; and a post-war Mk XVI. That's the goal and it makes 5 which is a magic number for me. Also mixed into my GB plans are to show a fighter from each of the major WWII combatants; so Spit, 109; then Zero; Mustang? and Russian? Sorry to the French and Italian enthusiasts. I would be open to any suggestions about which plane is the most Russian fighter.

I've started on the cockpit and the Eduard kit is quite different in style then Tamiya. I'd call the Tamiya a excellent beginner kit. It fits flawlessly, accurate and detailed. The Eduard is excellent intermediate with even more accuracy and detail.
cockpit1.jpg

This isn't even all of the parts. There are several tanks, sidewall details and gun sight still on the tree. The seat is 3 parts by itself. I will clean that rear bulkhead some more.

My long term plan is to have a representative of all the Spitfire marks. Now I've seen pictures of "complete collections" and it's dozens of models. I only want to show MAJOR changes. I have the prototype and the BOB; I want the longer nose on this one; a contra prop; and a post-war Mk XVI. That's the goal and it makes 5 which is a magic number for me. Also mixed into my GB plans are to show a fighter from each of the major WWII combatants; so Spit, 109; then Zero; Mustang? and Russian? Sorry to the French and Italian enthusiasts. I would be open to any suggestions about which plane is the most Russian fighter.

I've started on the cockpit and the Eduard kit is quite different in style then Tamiya. I'd call the Tamiya a excellent beginner kit. It fits flawlessly, accurate and detailed. The Eduard is excellent intermediate with even more accuracy and detail.
View attachment 594716
This isn't even all of the parts. There are several tanks, sidewall details and gun sight still on the tree. The seat is 3 parts by itself. I will clean that rear bulkhead some more.
Good stuff. Is there a Mk.III in 1:72?

Good plan Alan, have most of the variants myself.
For the contra prop, the Special Hobby Mk.21 seems to be the best option generally, bar a few accuracy issues (depending on which plans you are referring to!)
As for the XVI, the best detailed is of course the new Eduard kit, though I also have the Sword kit and am very impressed with it. It might even be more realistic, as I (personally) find all the Eduard rivet detail a bit excessive. Will have to see after a coat or two of paint...
(BTW, just realised tonight my Eduard XVI is moulded badly - missing it's stbd nose! Have to write the company and get a replacement fuse)

Geo, no 1:72 Mk.III kit that I know of, though you can modify any Mk.I with a Falcon Clear Vax vacform canopy (from set #41: Spitfire Special)

Last edited:
Correction on my previous post sorry... had been googling various marks at the same time and got my wires crossed! Edited accordingly.

Airfix don't make a Mk.21 (yet), was thinking of the 22... The best 21 kit (generally speaking) seems to be the Special Hobby kit, though slaggers criticise it's wing tip shape and contra-prop back plate diameter.
The Eduard (Aero Team kit + Eduard PE + resin), AeroTeam ( based on old CMR resin kit) and old CMR offerings all suffer from a severe case of bloated wing chord and fuselage join. Shame, as the Eduard kit looks alright otherwise.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back