GB-50 1:48 SB2C-4 Helldiver - Zombie Build

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

fubar57

General
Nov 22, 2009
The Jungles of Canada
Username: fubar57
First name: George
Category: Advanced
Manufacturer: Pro Modeler
Model: SB2C-4 Helldiver Kit No. 85-5935
Scale: 1:48

Started this in the last century. The kit is dated 1997 so I probably started it in 1998 as I wasn't a stash builder at the time. Going to do aircraft #51 in the "Atlantic Scheme"

1620153158108.png

exquisite-corpse.regular.png

The Goods, not mine but from cybermodeler...

Untitled.jpg

rm_5983_parts1.jpg

rm_5983_parts2.jpg

rm_5983_parts3.jpg

rm_5983_parts4.jpg

Where we sits. It seems the whole issue was to do with a misalignment of the rear gunners station and snow-balled from there. This morning I tried to gently pry the pieces up a bit to aid alignment and they promptly snapped of, all the better. For starters I clean up the area the arrows are point to. The cockpit is complete save for the pilots seat

IMG_0001.JPG

The offending area at the rear of the gunners station. A clean-up and repaint are in order methinks

IMG_0003.JPG

Yikes!!!! The radio and radar station.This looked far better in the box without my glasses on, from a distance. Not sure what the gouge marks are from but I should be able to improve this

IMG_0006.JPG

Engine looks decent, just need to add the PE harness

IMG_0004.JPG

Last edited:
Thanks guys. Looking for an "Atlantic Scheme" to go with my Avenger. Detail and Scale says they were 4Es but not all carried the right wing radar pod so if I can find an aircraft photo'd from the left and not showing the right wing.....that's my kite

Still fettling away at the gunners station. There are quite a few builds of this kit but none of the build in progress. I did find a video but it didn't help. I decided to work on other areas in the meantime. Some pretty skookum attachment points. The Tamiya saw made short work of these

IMG_0004.JPG

We meet again old friend

IMG_0003.JPG

Thanks guys. Looking for an "Atlantic Scheme" to go with my Avenger. Detail and Scale says they were 4Es but not all carried the right wing radar pod so if I can find an aircraft photo'd from the left and not showing the right wing.....that's my kite
D&S shows a -4 from the left side (page 7), #47. Where exactly (page) did you find the above information ('cause I couldn't:rolleyes:).
The same a/c is shown in "Helldiver in action" , page 26, as a colour profile with a description"4E in post-war markings from 1946". You have that? On page 41 there is a photo of the same a/c with another one # 51 in the ASW scheme. Let me know if you don't have/need those.
Cheers!

Thanks Yves. This is from Detail and Scale, Pgs. 41 and 42

1619995236336.png

1619995281331.png

I need to go through my decals for numbers. What can't be seen in the above photos are the letters XVF mid fuselage. Karl PMd me more photos of #47 and #51 showing these. #51 definitely doesn't have the radar pod or Yagi antennas at the time of the photo and

Thanks Yves. This is from Detail and Scale, Pgs. 41 and 42

Oh, I see. I was trying to find a photo of an ASW-Helldiver with the above text and couldn't. Honestly I haven't seen that many photos of Helldivers in the ASW-scheme. Years ago I wanted to build an A-25A/B Shrike and searched the WWW for information, going through several Hell diver-pages as well . I'm sure I've seen the white # 49 as a model. Don't know where though. I have a hard-copy archive as well with some internet sites copied and printed out (many of them don't exist any more), I'll give it a try.
Cheers!
P.S. Found it, here: SB2C-4 Helldiver by Hubert Ortinger (Revell 1/48)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back