GB-55 1/48 B-25D-1 Mitchell - MTO III (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Every now and then I stare at this kit as it's still right next to my P-38. Sometimes I even work on it, though there is little to show at the moment. All of the nacelle elements depend on each other a bit so with the parts still disassembled I am doing a bit on each part before it's assembled. The opening through which the main undercarriage protrudes is nice and compact (thankfully because that means no missing details need to be added) but one element that is easily visible from the outside is a hefty stiffening ring with lightening holes in it - an easy add. Here's the part installed in one nacelle:

23010101.jpg

And then, for something simple, I thought I'd remove and clean up the undercarriage legs. Well, maybe I'm spoiled by the thoughtful engineering on my Tamiya P-38 but take a look at these sprue gates. Pretty finicky cutting the legs from the sprue when the gate is nestled between two very delicate details:

23010102.jpg

Anyway, I did manage to cut them off with little drama.

So, the other stuff that's happening is that I added a bit more card to the carb intakes to widen them. Sanding and shaping in this area continues. Also, the cowl flap ring will be completely scratch built to make the flaps partly open rather than fully closed as moulded on the kit. I also need to rescribe the panels on the nacelles right behind the exhausts and also come up with a final decision on how to make the exhausts. Gonna take a while fellas but I'll keep you posted, Thanks for your continues interest.

Great information. You guys are doing a super job. Too bad my Uncle Bill is long gone. He flew 25's over North Africa beginning in late 42 then up through Italy and finished the war in Northern Italy. He had two sons that were not interested in flying or the military. After he came home, he bought a Cessna 195. Taught me to fly in that birdie. He didn't talk much about his WW2 experiences. His boys got all his old military gear when he passed away. They are both gone now as well. He loved flying and airplanes. We went to an airshow back in the 1960's when I was home on leave. Saw a couple of 25's there. Went with him to visit the people flying those. Just listened. They discussed their service activities. That's when I learned what he did in the war. Trully our greatest generation. My Dad and three uncles all served in WW2. My Dad was a Navy pilot, two uncles with Patton, and Uncle Bill Army AF.

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back