GB-55 1/48 B-25D-1 Mitchell - MTO III (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Hi Andy!
1. There is no lower/depressed area in front of the scoop - it's the top of the cowling. The scoop itself sits higher:
cyJEjbK.jpg

2. The "neck" under the cold air intake sits over a shutter for the warm air (under the cowling). There is a shutter in the cold air intake too - we usually see them open. Check the scheme below for the propper air circulation with shutters open or closed.
fuAJviZ.jpg

3. This is the best (and biggest) photo I can provide showing a scoop from the exact same type as on your model of a B-25 under construction (see attached large photo). IMHO a fairing under the scoop is missing though - compare with the first photo.
Cheers!

Attachments

• B-25C engine under construction.jpg
    B-25C engine under construction.jpg
    875.7 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
Yeah I worked on The Rock for 6 months and got to know some. Great folks and a laugh a minute.

Work on the Mitchell has not stopped; I just haven't shown any pictures because it's boring stuff cleaning up seams on the fuselage with Tamiya grey primer, filing, sanding, repeat - you know the drill.

As always Andy, you do have a way with plastic! A surgeon you are and beautiful work at that, just think your a plastic surgeon.

The clear sprue has options for 3 canopies, 3 noses, two tails, and one bomb aimer's compartment, which was loose in the bag. The late model tail gunner's housing is also provided, though I won't need it. It looks like I'll need to use the astrodome over the navigator table though which I'm glad is included.

View attachment 680197
Andy, going back to your box content (partially shown above) I found that you have one of the late B-25B model kits - they include the frame J (on the right side) with parts for standard or modified C/D variants, not for B at all. Of interest is the cockpit canopy on frame J and its framing - this is the one you'll need.
I wanted to write about this detail when you come to it, but it might be not possible for me - time will show.
I decided to write it in my next post so you'll have the information in advance.
Attached is an article (I think I posted it already) mentioning the different parts manufactured during the AM B-25B production timeline and the conversion parts added later in the standard kits - FYI the clear parts.
Cheers!

Attachments

• B-25G conversion and B-25 variants Accurate Miniatures.pdf
    3.4 MB · Views: 27
Last edited:
Great work!! Wish my Uncle Bill was still around to see this. He flew 25's in WW2. All the way across North Africa and up through Italy until the end of the war. When he came home he bought a Cessna 195 with radial engine. He took me flying a lot when I was little and eventually taught me to fly. Got my ticket at 17. Really great man. He had two sons, neithewhich was interested in airplanes. My Dad was a Navy Pilot in WW2. Keep up the good work!!

Thank-you sir. Work continues at a snail's pace with the beginnings of the mods to the carb intakes. The divots in the cowls have been filled in with bits of card and these will be shaped to the contour of the cowl once fully dry.

22120901.jpg

On the intakes, I cut the moulded intake pieces off of the discs containing the cowl flaps and glued them to the inserts that attach to the top of the nacelle so that they sit as high as possible. Only one side is shown in the below pic to show the before and after. Once these have fully set, I will need to attach bits of rod to the intakes to widen them and drill new openings - yeah I know....

22120902.jpg

The discs will pretty much be garbage now because I'm going to make new cowl flaps that will be glued to the cowl pieces in a slightly open position so that the work on the exhaust stubs will be a bit easier. However, the center part will be needed to mount the engine and trap the prop shafts. Thanks for looking in and for your patience.

Thanks guys. The following shot shows a few things on the go. Starting at top left, the two cowl fillers have been smoothed down and a bit of Tamiya grey primer dabbed on. At top right, the incorrect panel lines on the nacelles that were filled with primer a while back have been sanded. And in the foreground is the start at my attempt to widen the carb intakes

22121001.jpg

Lots more plastic dust to come.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back