**** DONE: GB-55 1:48 Supermarine Spitfire Mk.VIII - MTO lll

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

fubar57

General
Nov 22, 2009
The Jungles of Canada
Username: fubar57
First name: George
Category: Advanced
Manufacturer: Eduard Weekend Edition
Model: Supermarine Spitfire Mk.VIII Kit #84139
Scale: 1:48

After much pondering, my choice for this GB is a 31st Fighter Group, 308th Fighter Squadron "hack"- HL✪R, s/nJF470, Italy 1944-45

Spitfire.jpg

FROM THIS SITE

It starts. As is almost every modellers wont, it begins with trying to figure out a build/paint sequence. While studying the instructions I put together a few things. The seat frame armoured plate begged to have the slot the shoulder harnesses pass through opened up (A). While trying to open up the chain holes with a scalpel I put so much pressure on it I almost snapped it in two. I'm leery about opening the lightning holes now. Added a cross over to the tanks made from stretch sprue (B). This teeny tiny little part has a sink hole in it as does the corresponding part on the other side (C). The seat was painted with XF-9 Hull Red and XF-69 Nato Black. When dry, it was dry brushed XF-90 Red Brown and XF-24 Dark Grey. The tank was painted XF-71 Cockpit Green, X-32 Titanium, Vallejo Model Colour Brass and a slight wash with Citadel Gryphonne Sepia.

IMG_2347.JPG

Here's something for the Colour Nazis. While looking for a suitable dry brush colour for the Nato Grey, I grabbed two bottles that had slightly different coloured lids. I spun the bottles around so I could read the labels....

IMG_2350.JPG

....the innards....

IMG_2351.JPG

....same company, same colour, different shade

Give 'em a good mix up they just may be the same, have had some similar and nce mixed were the same, however batches mixed and processed at different times may certainly have some variation.

Like your choice George, would like to do an American Spitty myself...

I think Tamiya is replicating the Air Ministry's supply situation perfectly. Stir the paint and see if they get closer in tone. I have sprayed the lid if the plastic is not really close to the actual paint. N4521U between 80 year old paint samples; production variation; weathering; "scale" effect; and trying to interpret color photos or descriptions, as long as you're close and have a reason, you're good. When I restarted, I decided I would strive more for consistent tone between national colors then trying to treat each build apart. Now my major concern is getting all the detail areas correct.

ooo fantastic another American Spitfire, look forward to seeing how this kit goes together I do fancy a Mk.VIII at some point

Got home this morning and went down with intentions of finishing the side panels. One piece was missing and after an hour of searching I thought I would try and make it

Screenshot 2022-08-10 212046.jpg

Not perfect but with the canopy closed up it won't be that noticeable.

IMG_2353.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back