GB-56 1/48 P-38 F/G - Thunderbolts and Lightnings (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

dneid

Staff Sergeant
Oct 31, 2012
Austin, TX
Username : dneid
First name : Dale
Category : intermediate
Scale : 1/48
Manufacturer / Model : Tamiya P-38 F/G
Extras: Xtradecals, Master gun barrels, Quinta Studios Cockpit decals, Eduard Masks

Tamiya P-38F.jpg

P-38 Add Ons.jpg

Decals 1.jpg

Decals 2.jpg

I have not yet decided on which markings I will use. I want to research the aircraft in the set and decide. I will keep you all posted on my decision. I am going to enjoy this build as it has been awhile since I have participated in a GB.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, it seems I need to select what markings before I can begin construction. There are call outs even in the first step for what parts to use for which version. So, I am doing a P-38G "Tommie's Lucky Penny" flown by Lt. Sidney W. Weatherford (See Below. So, this will be an North African based bird. So, desert sand weathering.
Thanks for the welcome back, Wurger, Don.

Sidney William Weatherford

DATE OF BIRTH: March 28, 1921
PLACE OF BIRTH: San Marcos, Texas
HOME OF RECORD: San Marcos, Texas

During World War II, Sidney Weatherford became a U.S. Army Air Forces ACE, credited with shooting down 5 enemy aircraft in aerial combat. After the war he transferred to the new U.S. Air Force. Returning to combat with the 311th Fighter-Bomber Squadron in Korea, he was missing in action after a mission on August 11, 1952, and is presumed killed in action.
AWARDS BY DATE OF ACTION:

Distinguished Flying Cross
AWARDED FOR ACTIONS
DURING World War II
Service: Army Air Forces
Battalion: 48th Fighter Squadron
Division: 15th Air Force
GENERAL ORDERS:
CITATION:
SYNOPSIS: Captain (Air Corps) Sidney William Weatherford (ASN: 0-724756), United States Army Air Forces, was awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross for extraordinary achievement while participating in aerial flight as a Fighter Pilot of the 48th Fighter Squadron, 14th Fighter Group, FIFTEENTH Air Force, in action against the enemy in aerial combat in the Mediterranean Theater of Action during World War II. The skillful and zealous manner in which he has sought out the enemy and destroyed him, his devotion to duty and courage under all conditions serve as an inspiration to his fellow flyers. His actions on all these occasions reflect the highest credit upon himself and the Armed Forces of the United States. destroyed him, his devotion to duty and courage under all conditions serve as an inspiration to his fellow flyers. His actions on all these occasions reflect the highest credit upon himself and the Armed Forces of the United States.

Last edited:
Ok, I am going to attempt to post pictures every day during this build. All I have so far is a few cockpit parts primed and a layer of aluminum laid down for chipping. I also discovered that I had bought the Eduard Cockpit resin set. So, I am using the seat and the radio parts from that. Not much else in the reason set is worth using ATM.

Cockpit parts primed and metaled.jpg

Reson Parts.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, post for today, 5 Nov. I am working on the "base" cockpit. Slow and steady right now. I have the interior green laid and some pn the panels called out in black. I did some minor chipping on the floor and seat.
I started looking into weathering a North African plane (lots of sand). I am considering a mix of washes, "home made" pastels, the Tamiya weathering pastels and some subtle drybrushing. Not quite ready to start any significant weathering yet.
Thanks for stopping by.

Attachments

• Cockpit Pieces - part 2.jpg
    Cockpit Pieces - part 2.jpg
    226.8 KB · Views: 20
  • My Pastels.jpg
    My Pastels.jpg
    754.9 KB · Views: 20
  • Tamiya Pastels.jpg
    Tamiya Pastels.jpg
    401.6 KB · Views: 20
Yep. you got all the right ingredients there for a desert dust storm, a bit of huff and puff a flick or two with dust and you will be home and hosed. :D

Ok, so I found a few tubes of oil paint that I have used over the years and some paint thinner. I decided to make up a sand wash and airbrush onto the cockpit floor. Yes, it seems a bit heavy right now, but I think a q-tip can be used to tame it a bit. If you look at the cockpit floor, you can see the wash settling into corners very nicely. That is the effect I am looking for with the "dust" build in those North African birds.

I like what I see enough that I decided to make a few jars of mixed washes. I used the unfiltered white and some umber. One bottle is pure unfiltered white and the other bottle is a mix of about 50/50 unfiltered white and umber. I will be mixing up a few more shades, leaning to much lighter than the 50/50 mix.

So, I think I have found a solution for weathering washes that will not cost me a fortune and will me allow to make up infinite shades. All for about 20 cents per small jar with the cost of the jars being the major cost per unit.

Attachments

• Sand wash 1.jpg
    Sand wash 1.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 19
  • Sand wash 2.jpg
    Sand wash 2.jpg
    586.5 KB · Views: 20
  • Sand Wash 3.jpg
    Sand Wash 3.jpg
    319.4 KB · Views: 20
  • Made up washes.jpg
    Made up washes.jpg