**** DONE: GB-56 1/48 P-38J-25 - Thunderbolts and Lightnings (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Andy, Came across this picture and I recalled you mentioning that Tamiya wants you to install but cut off the mast on the P-38J. I came across this picture and thought I would post it in case you haven't seen it before. Note there is still part of the mast remaining on this P-38.

Hold you mouse over the photo to get the pilot and unit details.

P-38_75_Earthquake_McGoon_Lt_Richard_Campbell_37th_FS_14th_FG.jpg

22121207.jpg

Interesting thanks. I have no idea what's up with that but it's not what Tamiya means by cutting off the mast. They use this method to simply fill the hole in the fuselage and make a flush surface.

Very much stalled on this project for a bit. Been working on real Mosquito parts at home and that's more fun....

Back, finally.

As mentioned earlier, the radio set up bugged me as Tamiya did not provide the correct SCR-522 set for my chosen subject. At least Academy provided both types but I used the one I needed on my earlier P-38F. So, I went ahead and scratch built a set over the last week or so and so here's the compiled series of pics:

The radio deck and incorrect framework:

23013102.jpg
23013103.jpg

The modified framework and scratch built R/T and Dynamotor with vibration mounts:

23013104.jpg

Lightening holes drilled, parts painted and home made labels added:

23013105.jpg

Dry-fit check with the canopy on :thumbright:

23013101.jpg

I still need to add the myriad wiring now that I know it all fits. Thanks for looking in.

Thanks again gents.

A minor snag happened this morning but I got over it quickly. I glued the tube assembly into the rear canopy after painting all the parts...

23020202.jpg

.....only to find that the silver box now fouled the radio I made:

23020203.jpg

A quick check of my parts reference revealed that the function of that box was the antenna relay, which was for the older SCR-274 unit that I chose not to install. So out came the cutting tools and, after carefully cutting out the box without scratching the clear part and touching up the damage, all is good again:

23020201.jpg

I also confirmed that the upward ID lights further back along that bar were present on all serials and so that will be left. If I feel like it, I may add the wiring to the lights. Thanks again for your interest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back