**** DONE: GB-57 1/48 Curtiss Hawk-75A-3 - WW2 Foreign Service (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

T Bolt

Colonel
Mar 24, 2010
Chicago, Illinois
User Name: T Bolt
Name: Glenn
Category: Advanced
Kit: HobbyCraft P-36
Scale: 1/48th
Accessories: Microscale Decals

I will be building a Vichi French Curtiss Hawk 75A-3 of the 2nd Escadrille GC II/4 at Dakar Senegal 1942.

I did some searches into Dakar and French West Africa during the war as other that operation Torch, it was an unknown aspect of the war to me. I was surprised to find that during the battle of Dakar (again, new to me) The Hawk 75 pretty much kicked the Allies ass.
That's what I love about this hobby, always learning new things about history.

This will be the fourth time I've built the HobbyCraft P-36/Hawk 75 kit plus a couple more if you include their P-40C and I have to say I love these kits They are simple but build into a very nice finished product and have room for upgrading it you want to.
I will be starting after I get my two GB-56 builds wrapped up this weekend.

image018.jpg
s-l1600.jpg

That's what I love about this hobby, always learning new things about history.

This will be the fourth time I've built the HobbyCraft P-36/Hawk 75 kit plus a couple more if you include their P-40C and I have to say I love these kits They are simple but build into a very nice finished product and have room for upgrading it you want to.

I will be starting after I get my two GB-56 builds wrapped up this weekend.

The decals were waiting for me in the mail when I came home last night and look to be in good condition.
I have searched but have not been able to find a picture of this particular aircraft. If anyone has one I would be grateful.

s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600 (2).jpg

The decals were waiting for me in the mail when I came home last night and look to be in good condition.
I have searched but have not been able to find a picture of this particular aircraft. If anyone has one I would be grateful.

View attachment 709563View attachment 709562
Decals?? And I thought you were going to be maskin-n-paintin? Not sure which would be the bigger challenge though? Wrapping those bands around the nose will be interesting.

Not sure if I'll be using the red stripe decals or not at this point but even if I do there will be plenty of masking going on with the 4 color camo plus yellow cowl and tail.
Here's the masking on the last Hawk 75 I did for Group Build #12 with similar camo.

View attachment 709578View attachment 709579View attachment 709580View attachment 709581
I feel your pain. I, rightly or wrongly, tend to use a lot of tape myself when masking. Tape is cheap (washi anyway) and frustration to high when over spray appears!

p36-008.jpg

Hawk 75A-3 de la 2e escadrille (SPA 153) du Groupe de Chasse I/4, basé à Dakar à l'été 1942. Le groupe obtint plusieurs victoires sur des appareil de la britannique et français libres au cours des raids de septembre 1940, septembre 1941 et août 1942. L'appareil porte les bandes de neutralité de Vichy, apparues en juin 1941, et un camouflage inhabituel, le Gris Bleu Foncé usuel étant remplacé par du Chamois, afin de mieux camoufler l'appareil sur fond désertique.

Hawk 75A-3 of the 2nd squadron (SPA 153) of the Groupe de Chasse I/4, based in Dakar in the summer of 1942. The group obtained several victories over British and French aircraft during the raids of September 1940 , September 1941 and August 1942. The aircraft bears the Vichy neutrality stripes, which appeared in June 1941, and an unusual camouflage, the usual Dark Blue Gray being replaced by Chamois, in order to better camouflage the aircraft against a desert background.

the source: Curtiss P-36 Hawk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back