**** DONE: GB-57 1/48 P-51K / Mk.IV Mustang - WW2 Foreign Service

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks everyone. She's done. Here are a few pics of how she's gonna stay. Last few steps were to add a bit more grime and exhaust stains. Thanks to all who followed along and those who helped with the scheme.

23060809.jpg
23060810.jpg
23060811.jpg
23060812.jpg
23060813.jpg
23060815.jpg

A few final observations about this new Airfix kit. It was a fun build with impressive details for a reasonable price. The fit is extremely precise - so much so that I think some of the moulding tolerances came into play. Dry-fitting is a must and be prepared for some trimming. The decals are excellent but I continue to maintain that Airfix overdo the surface details. More subtlety would launch these kits into Tamiya and Eduard territory. All that said, I'd happily get another one of their new-tool kits.

Thanks Karl.

I should have added under my kit comments that Airfix have followed the same path as many others by not respecting the fact that the seam lines on the Mustang's wings were puttied and painted, leaving a perfectly smooth finish except for a few access panels. It's a lot of work to fill all the unnecessary panel lines, especially when you make them as deep as Airfix does!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back