**** DONE: GB-57 1/48 P-51K / Mk.IV Mustang - WW2 Foreign Service

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks guys. Just a measley white patch to show you today. This was painted as insurance against the blue and white checker board decal being too transparent. I didn't take too much care making sure that it was perfectly straight as the decal will take care of that.

23053101.jpg

I might get the decals started tonight, starting with the checker board. I will need to match the blues in that decal to paint the rings on the spinner.

Thanks Don.

I've made good progress on the decals starting with the checkers last night. What a pain in the butt. The decals themselves are actually very nice - thin yet robust enough to withstand lots of pulling and tugging and liberal applications of Solvaset. The issue wth the 3 decals making up the checks is that they just aren't shaped properly to account for the curves of the nose area. Airfix seem to have made an eyeball guess but apparently made no attempt to adjust them after trying them out on a model. So, I made the best of it, tore one in the process, and let them set up over night.

23060104.jpg
23060102.jpg

The crude alignment near the chin scoop is evident and this area is going to need to be touched up by hand. With the model set up on stilts for the above pic, I went ahead and slapped on the underside roundels.

23060101.jpg

A cool, rainy day made for good bench time today and I continued with the upper roundels which went on nicely. After applying Solvaset, the roundels conformed to the moulded fairings at the ailerons perfectly. Very nice decals.

23060103.jpg
23060105.jpg

Next, I propped the model up on its side to apply the fuselage decals.

23060106.jpg

Lots of teeny stencils everywhere. I put them on despite the photos not showing evidence of them being there.

23060107.jpg

I then noticed that I some faint green overspray in the wing root area. I dipped a q-tip in 70% alcohol and went to remove it. It came off alright but, to my suprise, so did the Alclad II paint! Lacquer dissolving in alcohol - go figure. Anyway, the damage is slight and can easily be resprayed.

23060108.jpg

Another lesson learned - or soon forgotten.

Thanks for looking in. Hope to make a push for the finish date but may run over a day or two.

Nice work Andy.
I'm always nervous about nose check decals, and the days of hand-painting them, without masking, are long gone.

Don, "Xtradecal" have those type of roundels in their range, and they can be found on the Hannant's website in the uK, along with other mfg's roundels.

I dipped a q-tip in 70% alcohol and went to remove it. It came off alright but, to my suprise, so did the Alclad II paint! Lacquer dissolving in alcohol - go figure. Anyway, the damage is slight and can easily be resprayed.
Looking Good Andy and the same thing happened on the Me-110build Mr.Hobby lacquer and 91% started pulling it up went WTF!!I said to myself a new final cleaner through the ole airbrush. ;)

Thanks gents. I'll be spending more time at the bench tonight and will update a bit later. In the meantime, any theories as to what this dark patch is on the rudder trim tab? Colour? Both sides?

QV_V Dooleybird Rudder tab.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back