**** DONE: GB-57 1/48 RAF P-51B - WW2 Foreign Service

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh?!
Okay, having said that.
Looking closely at the picture in my first post.
Radio set, looks like the one Im going for.
Fuel cap behind pilot........ None.
Not even an antennae post on top.
And........ screen cover under the exhausts, on Any photos.
I had heard, long ago, the Early models did not have that little punched panel.
Is this curious? or consistant with first off "B" models?
Below a photo of the A/C and the other the radio gear.
the single piece on the matt goes behind the one In place,
The other two below where the aux fuel tank goes in later models.
57-2x1.jpg57-2-23.jpg

Last edited:
Hello Bill,

No answer regarding the radio system and other details about FX883... But interesting informations here, here and on Joe Baugher website
43-12372 to RAF as Mustang III FX883. Returned to USAAF Dec 30, 1943, no RAF service. (354th FG, 353rd FS, 9th AF) shot down by Fw 190A-7 flown by Oblt Hans-Heinrich Koenig of JG11/3 between Minden and Brunswick, Germany Feb 21, 1944. MACR 2328. Pilot killed.
It seems that this Mustang never flew in operation with RAF.

Hello Bill,

No answer regarding the radio system and other details about FX883... But interesting informations here, here and on Joe Baugher website
43-12372 to RAF as Mustang III FX883. Returned to USAAF Dec 30, 1943, no RAF service. (354th FG, 353rd FS, 9th AF) shot down by Fw 190A-7 flown by Oblt Hans-Heinrich Koenig of JG11/3 between Minden and Brunswick, Germany Feb 21, 1944. MACR 2328. Pilot killed.
Interesting, couldn't find it on the Baugher pages.
Will have to look again.
Appears then all the photos were "touched up"!

Hello Bill,

A nice find but the FX883 is not the FX893 Bill tries to replicate.

Mustang_Mk_III_FX893_d.jpg

the source: the net.

I'm not sure which radio would have been fitted, but it was normal to fit British equipment to American aircraft in RAF service.
The radio would have been VHF and, although not seen in the photo, there wold be a whip antenna on the starboard ide of the fuselage spine, this replacing the earlier mast antenna when the Malcolm hood was fitted.
Pic shows antenna on my model. Note that the Malcolm hood did not have frames front and rear, these being "rolled" edges of the Perspex / Plexiglass.

Bill antenna.jpg

Two mixes of enlarged shots presenting the equipment seen through the rear cockpit glasses of the FX893 in comparison with another stuff used for other Mustangs. The top pics are of the FX893. May come in handy.

FX893 and FB104 ...
Mustang Mk III FX893_FB104.jpg

FX893 and P-51B/C ...
Mustang Mk III FX893_.jpg

O.M.G...................................
I was ready to change the heading to "the Plane the Never Was"
I myownself didn't even notice the numbers were wrong!!!!!!!
However..............
I am convinced none of my reference photos were "Photoshopped"
as NONE of the photos have an oil screen or antennae post or fuel filler cap!
For this I have No explanation! These all came from the web ?
Now I can breathe and continue!
FX893_a.jpgFX893_b.jpgFX893-c.jpgFX893-d.jpgFX893-e.jpg

The equipment seen in the top photos from Wojtek looks very like a camera, which appears to be pointing vertically down, with the film magazine being the curved-sided "box" on top.
Of course, I could be wrong, but whatever, the "normal" radio fir for RAF Mustang III is shown in the other pics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back