**** DONE: GB-58 1/48 Boulton Paul Defiant Mk.1 - Night Fighters all Eras

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Actually it is quite difficult to state. In most pics it can be noticed thatthe ailerons were set neutral when on the ground. But usually there is somebody in the cockpit. Of course there are images without any in the cockpit sitting and the ailerons are not in the "actuated" position too. So we may assume the neutral position of the ailerons was the "usual" setting while the deflected ones happened quite rarely.
Interesting that Airfix would have offered this 'feature'? I would think that separate flap pieces would have been more appropriate given what you just described. I suppose there are some who build 'wheels up' and while hanging from a ceiling string, the ailerons would be a dynamic visual addition. I will leave mine as is as it is not 'wrong' technically, but unusual.

Also a modeller can make his model showing its overhaul, being damaged , crashed etc .. in other words a diorama. The second reason for a such making parts can be their appearance. Usually the aileron are marked with recessed panel lines only that should be the gaps at the aileron sides for instance. But they aren't and a modeller has to cut the lines there himself if wants to have the better appearance of the wing parts. Having them as the already separated parts it is easier to get.

Decal (stencil) question? The instructions has a page illustrating the 'common' stencil locations. If the model does not have the detail that he stencil (decal) is associated with, should it be applied? Example, #3 called out but no feature there. I believe it would be confusing, but maybe not accurate if these are left off?

Stencil Question.JPG

Looking very sharp there Ralph. In my opinion, the extend of stenciling is a bit of a crapshoot but to answer your question generally, just because the model doesn't show a "feature" doesn't mean that the stencil is invalid. As Terry says, the stencil may advise of something internal. That said, the model kit manufacturer may have chosen not to go to the expense of moulding whatever feature applies to a given stencil if indeed it is something on the outside of the aircraft, like an inspection hatch.

The other thing is that if an aircraft was repainted at a maintenance depot, or repaired on squadron, any obliterated factory-applied stencil may not have been replaced.

Many stencil decals are quite legible with a magnifying glass. It might help to know what #3 says so we can answer the question with a bit more detail.

An example (OK, not the best example) of a stencil with no obvious or apparent precise location of "intent".
In this instance, it marks the "strong" area where a sling strop can be slung, under the fuselage on a strong point, central to the lettering, but where the unit ground crew would know where to place said strop, thanks to the stencil.

EDIT: Oops, forgot to post the pic, so here it is !!

Defiant stencil.jpg

Last edited:
Looking very sharp there Ralph. In my opinion, the extend of stenciling is a bit of a crapshoot but to answer your question generally, just because the model doesn't show a "feature" doesn't mean that the stencil is invalid. As Terry says, the stencil may advise of something internal. That said, the model kit manufacturer may have chosen not to go to the expense of moulding whatever feature applies to a given stencil if indeed it is something on the outside of the aircraft, like an inspection hatch.

The other thing is that if an aircraft was repainted at a maintenance depot, or repaired on squadron, any obliterated factory-applied stencil may not have been replaced.

Many stencil decals are quite legible with a magnifying glass. It might help to know what #3 says so we can answer the question with a bit more detail.
Andy - Terry. I went ahead and placed the decals as instructed. But as you pointed out, these markings may have been overcoated when the night fighter conversion was made? I'll have a closer look at the photos that I have been sent, but alas, to late now. It goes as shown above....

Andy - Terry. I went ahead and placed the decals as instructed. But as you pointed out, these markings may have been overcoated when the night fighter conversion was made? I'll have a closer look at the photos that I have been sent, but alas, to late now. It goes as shown above....
In some 20 years of working on active (non war) aircraft in the USAF, the only time you see a plane full of stencils is 1) New from the factory, 2) fresh form Depot. First time it hits paint dock, they are GONE. Oh sure, ground, power, jack and so forth are kept but 90% disappear and in a combat situation, Only the essentials are left.

My two cent's for what they are not worth....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back