**** DONE: GB-58 1/48 Messerschmitt Bf110G-4 - Night Fighters all Eras

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Crimea_River

Marshal
Nov 16, 2008
Calgary
Username: Crimea River
First name: Andy
Category: Judge – Non competing
Scale: 1/48
Manufacturer: ProModeler
Model Type: Bf110-G-4
Aftermarket addons: Who knows?

What Night Fighter GB would be complete without the famous Bf110? I've decided to partake in this GB with the much-maligned ProModeler Bf110G-4 kit whose failings are primarily to do with undersized spinners and engine cowls. I've decided that I would build this kit as is and not try to fix these issues as it would just guarantee that I will never finish the build in time. For the same reason, my Do217J/N conversion will wait for another day as it is too labour-intensive to include in this GB

Despite its shortcomings, the rest of the kit looks pretty nice with fine moulded details right down to the weld beads on the flame dampers. I've been researching schemes and am not keen on what the kit decals depict. I'm intrigued however by an NJG101 machine, 9W+BO "Yellow B" which is fairly well documented by photos and a colour video taken by US troops at Fritzlar airfield in 1945. The scheme is a standard 75/76 camo that was oversprayed with RLM83 squiggles and waves and so would be a good opportunity to push my airbrushing skills to the limit. The scheme is covered by Eduard's now discontinued kit so decals won't be available. For this reason, I might practice making some home made decals and masks again.

Here are a couple of screen shots taken from that video linked above:

9W+BO Still from Movie 1.jpg
9W+BO Still from Movie 3.jpg

Thanks guys. Going to need some educated guesses what the WNr is for this one. A partial is shown in the first pic of post #1 (XX4077) and it is followed by the letter "S" which I've not seen before. Evidently Eduard did not include WNr decals.

Thanks guys. A further clue on the WNr. I went back to the linked film and just before the camera cuts away to the next scene, the number 1 is revealed. So we have X14077S. Off to the references now to see what the likely first number was.

9W+BO max WNr.jpg

Thanks guys. A further clue on the WNr. I went back to the linked film and just before the camera cuts away to the next scene, the number 1 is revealed. So we have X14077S. Off to the references now to see what the likely first number was.

View attachment 721031
IMHO these are all digits (6-digit Werknummer) - there is nothing before the 1. I believe I have read something about this a/c somewhere and the Werknummer should be 140778.
Cheers!

Edward in his messer bf 110 g4 for the 9W+BO, he washes his hands and doesn't directly put the serial number on the decals, it's exactly the kit I have that I was going to do here but I couldn't find it before...

Cockpit parts separated from the sprues and cleaned up. I'll assemble a couple of parts together and then spray on the 66.

23051701.jpg

In the meantime, I'm trying to figure out if this machne would have carried the Shragemusik cannons. The pics are not conclusive. Anyone know if there is a way to determine what machines had these?

Andy, your work, do you know what will be a reference for when I do mine?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back