**** DONE: GB-58 1/48 Messerschmitt Bf110G-4 - Night Fighters all Eras

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Andy, your work, do you know what will be a reference for when I do mine?
I don't have a lot of references on this rig so can't suggest much. I have the Kagero volumes on the Bf110 and Volume III touches on the G series but only in pictures and drawings. The text is useless. Vasco's excellent Bf110 book unfortunately only covers up to the E model so doesn't help in my case. I'm using this site for reference photos: Messerschmitt Bf 110 - Photos & Video

Username: Crimea River
First name: Andy
Category: Judge – Non competing
Scale: 1/48
Manufacturer: ProModeler
Model Type: Bf110-G-4
Aftermarket addons: Who knows?

What Night Fighter GB would be complete without the famous Bf110? I've decided to partake in this GB with the much-maligned ProModeler Bf110G-4 kit whose failings are primarily to do with undersized spinners and engine cowls. I've decided that I would build this kit as is and not try to fix these issues as it would just guarantee that I will never finish the build in time. For the same reason, my Do217J/N conversion will wait for another day as it is too labour-intensive to include in this GB

Despite its shortcomings, the rest of the kit looks pretty nice with fine moulded details right down to the weld beads on the flame dampers. I've been researching schemes and am not keen on what the kit decals depict. I'm intrigued however by an NJG101 machine, 9W+BO "Yellow B" which is fairly well documented by photos and a colour video taken by US troops at Fritzlar airfield in 1945. The scheme is a standard 75/76 camo that was oversprayed with RLM83 squiggles and waves and so would be a good opportunity to push my airbrushing skills to the limit. The scheme is covered by Eduard's now discontinued kit so decals won't be available. For this reason, I might practice making some home made decals and masks again.

Here are a couple of screen shots taken from that video linked above:

View attachment 720882View attachment 720883
From my screen print from the film, the W.Nr. is 140778
Bf 110 G-4 140778.jpg

However, looking up the W. Nr. table in the Petrick/Mankau book, 'Messerschmitt Bf 110/Me 210/Me410', I cannot find the W. Nr. 140778. The nearest I can find is a batch 140756-140766 built by GWF in August 1944. From this, one can only conclude that the table is incomplete, although the text accompanying the table does say: '...These block s may have been longer at either the front or the end, and small gaps also cannot be ruled out...'

From my screen print from the film, the W.Nr. is 140778
View attachment 721404

However, looking up the W. Nr. table in the Petrick/Mankau book, 'Messerschmitt Bf 110/Me 210/Me410', I cannot find the W. Nr. 140778. The nearest I can find is a batch 140756-140766 built by GWF in August 1944. From this, one can only conclude that the table is incomplete, although the text accompanying the table does say: '...These block s may have been longer at either the front or the end, and small gaps also cannot be ruled out...'
Thanks so much John. That is one book that I don't have but your input does seem to confirm the 140778 number. I have not seen any other pics of 110G's with a 140 XXX number but have some with 110 XXX and some with 160 XXX as well as 7XXXXX

Cockpit walls painted and partly glued. I used straight Tamiya XF-24 over a black base for the RLM66 with some silver dry-brushing to mop up.. I decided to use the Shrage Musik parts - a tight squeeze.

23051801.jpg

I'm not spending any time adding or correcting details as I will pose the cockpit closed. This model, given the molding imperfections, will be more of a practice for painting the camo.

Made good progress on the 110 today at the expense of the Mustang but will get back to the pony on the weekend. The Instrument panel doesn't come with decals on this kit so I painted it up without going too nuts. Same with the radio/radar stack.

23051901.jpg
23051902.jpg

ProModeler's sprue attachments are stupid big and placed to maximize aggravation:

23051903.jpg

The cockpit fit nicely and a bit of clamping will ensure that the wall stays flush with the sill. Glad I kept all those name tags from my work days!

23051904.jpg

And here she is all glued up. Fit was very good and made up for the stupid sprue gates.

23051905.jpg

Back with more when there is more.....

Made good progress on the 110 today at the expense of the Mustang but will get back to the pony on the weekend. The Instrument panel doesn't come with decals on this kit so I painted it up without going too nuts. Same with the radio/radar stack.

View attachment 721619View attachment 721620

ProModeler's sprue attachments are stupid big and placed to maximize aggravation:

View attachment 721621

The cockpit fit nicely and a bit of clamping will ensure that the wall stays flush with the sill. Glad I kept all those name tags from my work days!

View attachment 721622

And here she is all glued up. Fit was very good and made up for the stupid sprue gates.

View attachment 721623

Back with more when there is more.....
The cockpit detail is beautiful. I can't imagine how much better it could look if you did go nuts.

Thanks all. With the pressure off the Mustang, attention will now be focused on this build. I've been dabbling a bit since last time but yesterday I spent a bit more time getting some bits together.

With some yellow from the Mustang still in the airbrush cup, I used the left over to spray the band on the back of this model.

23060802.jpg

The notorious nacelles have been assembled but the seams are not yet taken care of.

23060803.jpg

The radiators have been glued into their wing depressions:

23060804.jpg

I also started on the tail whcih is supposed to go on early. Check out the sprue attachments on the bottom of the fins!

23060801.jpg

Almost needed a damned cutting torch! Anyway, the tail is all together now and awaiting attachment to the fuselage. Revell wants me to glue this on before the wings but I will wait til those are on as I use the main wings to line up the tail and make sure all is properly aligned.

23060806.jpg

The undercarriage is impressive but very delicate and finicky. Each is made up of 5 pieces and a lot of time was spent cleaning up the mould ridges, especially on the oleo boots.

23060805.jpg

Thanks for tuning in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back