**** DONE: GB-58 1/48 Re.2001 Falco II – Night Fighters all Eras (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Vic Balshaw

Major General
Jul 20, 2009
Canberra
Username: Vic Balshaw
First name: Vic
Category: Advanced
Manufacturer: Sword Kit #SW48013
Model: Reggiane Re.2001 CN Falco II
Scale: 1/48
Extras: Some juggling with cannon and machine guns but mainly OTB.

20230224 1.JPG

60 Gruppo BT, Squadriglie 234, Stormo 41, April 1943 based at Lagnasco and Venegono in north Italy.
20230420 1 Sword Kit Instruction Profile .jpg
'
:D

Last edited:
The Re.2001 was initially designed as a CB (Caccia-Bombardiere/Fighter Bomber) but it was also decided as production started that there was a need for a CN (Caccia Notturno/Night Fighter) which basically was fitted with exhaust flame dampers and 2 x 20mm Mauser cannons in underwing nacelles, rather than the wing mounted 2 x 7.7mm machine guns.
It is interesting to note that of the 90 Re.2001 CN ordered, only 34 were supplied and high proportion of these did not have the 20mm cannon fitted due to supply issues. I should also point out that it is likely that none of these aircraft ever got used as night fighter due to Italy's capitulation in September 1943 when many of the aircraft were destroyed by the Italians to prevent them falling into German Hands.

I will also be running a Start to Finish Build in tandem with this as I also have the normal day fighter kit which is identical save for the underwing cannon and exhaust suppressor.

Username: Vic Balshaw
First name: Vic
Category: Advanced
Manufacturer: Sword Kit #SW48013
Model: Reggiane Re.2001 CN Falco II
Scale: 1/48
Extras: Some juggling with cannon and machine guns but mainly OTB.

View attachment 718870

60 Gruppo BT, Squadriglie 234, Stormo 41, April 1943 based at Lagnasco and Venegono in north Italy.
View attachment 718871'
So....we have a night fighter that never fought at night? Hmmmm

Cool looking kite though, especially from the Italians. Looking forward to seeing the bits of this kit. Not ever seen, nor heard of, Sword models.

So....we have a night fighter that never fought at night? Hmmmm

Cool looking kite though, especially from the Italians. Looking forward to seeing the bits of this kit. Not ever seen, nor heard of, Sword models.
Ralph, if you check out my other Re 2001 thread in Start to Finish https://ww2aircraft.net/forum/threads/1-48-re-2001-falco-ii-fighter-bomber.60926/builds you will see the full kit parts for that particular build. This one is exactly the same but with additional parts for a Night Fighter. :D

:D :D

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back