**** DONE: GB-58 1/48 Re.2001 Falco II – Night Fighters all Eras

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks for all the likes and kind words chaps, It's real nice of you all.

On to the build and I've now got to the stage of keeping the two Falco separated, so you'll be okay from now on Andy. Did the spray painting over the last couple of days, it was a three phase operation.........................
Phase 1. Did an aluminium spray as I was not sure where I wanted to go at this stage. Decided this morning to give this bird a little salt treatment. I've not done it before and with this Falco my only true pic shows it to be in reasonable condition, so I have only done a we bit.

20230604 1.JPG

Phase 2. From what I have read the Reggiane factory was turning the Night Fighters out in a very dark green so I've used the darkest I have and done a complete dark green spray (SMS PL187 Dunkelgrau (RLM 74)).

20230604 2.JPG

Phase 3. To darken dark green further but still leave an undertone of green, I've lightly over sprayed with black (SMS PL 01).

20230604 3.JPG

So this is where were at for the moment and thanks for looking in folks. :D

Phase 2. From what I have read the Reggiane factory was turning the Night Fighters out in a very dark green so I've used the darkest I have and done a complete dark green spray (SMS PL187 Dunkelgrau (RLM 74)).:D
Vic, can you quote a source for this? IMHO the above is correct for the day fighters, but the night fighters were black. Based on Colori E Schemi Mimetici Della Regia Aeronautica 1935-1943
See attached samples.
The above quoted book is quite old so something in the theory might have changed in the meantime - this is the reason to ask about your source.
Cheers!

Attachments

• Pages from Colori E Schemi Mimetici Della Regia Aeronautica 1935-1943 - verde.jpg
    Pages from Colori E Schemi Mimetici Della Regia Aeronautica 1935-1943 - verde.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 7
  • Pages from Colori E Schemi Mimetici Della Regia Aeronautica 1935-1943 -nero.jpg
    Pages from Colori E Schemi Mimetici Della Regia Aeronautica 1935-1943 -nero.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
This is what I have from this book, published 1982....

So, early NFs in original colours, replaced soon after with black
And as per the quoted text an a/c with a small cross and without white fuselage band should be always black.
Geo, a mistake in the above excerpt (from page 207) makes it sound awkward (I'm also using the translator from photos and sometimes it's ...me-e-eho_O:
"...in the end the aircraft appeared internally painted in black."
The Italian original is "interamente in nero" which means entirely black.
Cheers!

Attachments

• 2_Re_2001_cn_2__MM_08075_aveva_i_cannoni_alari__uno_dei_pochissimi_eccolo_qua_alle_prove_di_ti...jpg
    2_Re_2001_cn_2__MM_08075_aveva_i_cannoni_alari__uno_dei_pochissimi_eccolo_qua_alle_prove_di_ti...jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 7
Typed it manually into Google Translate and it corrected to what you wrote. So the very first aircraft were in normal camo colour and then changed over to black. I thought "internally" meant in factory at first

Ok folks, me bad. o_O My source was the STORMO colour guide VITO charts where factory produced Re.2001s were painted a Verde Oliva Scuro 2 or Verde Mimetico 3 which was my influence. Had I looked under STORMO CMPR chart I would have seen the reference to Nero Opaco. :eek: Not a worry, as it can easily be rectified with a simple respray. My thanks for you assistance in getting this sorted. :D

DON!!! This bird is surly female so it's LA Negro. And you live in Texas...sheese!
I was not informed of the sex of the subject, it is with great concern I have done this wrong. Still after 45 years being a Texacan I surely have done a great wrong. How can you ever forgive me model airplane ✈️?

I was not informed of the sex of the subject, it is with great concern I have done this wrong. Still after 45 years being a Texacan I surely have done a great wrong. How can you ever forgive me model airplane ✈️?
So you are a Texacan, coaching Italiano?
My head is starting to spin.

And here we have the beautiful little LADY all decked out in....................................................................................wait for it.......................................................................MIDNIGHT BLACK.
20320604 1.JPG

and don't she look lovely with her white lipstick and green earrings!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
20320604 2.JPG

Thanks Gents for the info and interest.
That's all folks, I'm out'a here "toodle-oo." :cool:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back