**** DONE: GB-58 1/72 Mitsubishi Ki 46 III "Dinah" - Night Fighters all Eras

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

destrozas

Senior Master Sergeant
Jan 12, 2010
User name: destrozas
First name: sergio
Category: intermediate
Scale: 1/72
Manufacturer: Arii #53015
Model type: mitsubishi Ki46 III otsu hei intercepter
Extras: none

1.jpg

By the end of the war in 1945, a desperate Japanese defensive campaign saw the ki-46 series converted into an ad hoc heavily-armed interceptor platform. The main threat to the Japanese mainland now came from the high-altitude Boeing B-29 Superfortress which could essentially act with its own level of impunity over Japanese defenses and out of reach of enemy interceptors. As a bomber interceptor, armament of the Ki-46 was upgraded to include 2 x 20mm cannons in the nose and 1 x 37mm cannon in an oblique firing position. The latter armament was intended to engage bombers from the rear and underneath - the most vulnerable area of an enemy bomber when in flight. These versions (Ki-46-III-KAI) proved adequate for the role conversion but were not as successful as anticipated. The airframe was simply not designed for the sustained firing of the large-caliber 37mm cannon, especially in its semi-vertical fitting, and the aircraft had trouble reaching its defined interception altitudes within time. Even when it did reach B-29 bombers, the aircraft lacked any armor protection or self-sealing fuel tanks and essentially made for target fodder against B-29 gunners. The Ki-46-III-KAI appeared in October of 1944 and was in operational service by the following month. When the American aircrews converted over the night operations, the tactical usefulness of the Ki-46-III interceptor was even less for they were never adapted to the night fighter role with radar or similar tracking facilities.

Last edited:
thk fellas!!!.

my idea it's make a this profile:
17th fight regiment independent
ki46-c3.jpg

I am struggling to locate the file that had the equivalences of the colors to gunze, according to the book a de model art vol.329 the plane in question appears but it says that it is painted red earth, and I have not seen that color in the Color dossier of the Japanese.
Others say it was dark brown and others mitsubishi green... and there I am looking...
According to Arii, the color would be made by mixing H6 35% + H7 35% + H4 30%, in the model art book it is dark green 1 (midori iro)

Indeed the red-earth colour is suggested by the Hasegawa for the 02295 Mitsubishi Ki-46 Type III Kai 17th Independent squadron kit. It is suggested to mix of the Mr.Hobby/Color no.43 Wood Brown and no.42 Mahogany paints.

1ki.jpg

2ki.jpg

ki3.jpg

As you may notice the mahogany colour is of the the red tone so the mix should be of the tinge as well. IMHO the colour looked like the one used for spinners and props. Check on the link ... Army Prop and Spinner Colours

and here ...

The colour is supposed to be the FS 30117 or FS 30122. As memo serves it is offered by many paint manufacturers.

re4.jpg
r1.jpg

the possible tones can be ...

rea.jpg

real.jpg

re.jpg

Indeed the red-earth colour is suggested by the Hasegawa for the 02295 Mitsubishi Ki-46 Type III Kai 17th Independent squadron kit. It is suggested to mix of the Mr.Hobby/Color no.43 Wood Brown and no.42 Mahogany paints.

As you may notice the mahogany colour is of the the red tone so the mix should be of the tinge as well. IMHO the colour looked like the one used for spinners and props. Check on the link ... Army Prop and Spinner Colours

and here ...

The colour is supposed to be the FS 30117 or FS30 122. As memo serves it is offered by many pain manufacturers.

the possible tones can be ...

Additionally the Tamiya suggests the mix of he XF10 Brown and XF60 colours in ratio 1:1. Below the paints and scanned tones of them from the net.
Thank you very much mate, but thank you very much, excellent info I have investigated more and found the following reference:

fs 30117 XF-64 Red Brown – 1 part XF-2 Flat White – 1 part, real color 31, vallejo air model 71293, gunze h37/C43.
Even so, I have made the mixture indicated in the arii instructions and the color is quite similar, Although with the information that you have provided me so well, I will do other tests, mixes to see, the more I can know the better so for now and the following we will have the data in the forum

User name: destrozas
First name: sergio
Category: intermediate
Scale: 1/72
Manufacturer: Arii nº3
Model type: mitsubishi Ki46 III Kai intercepter
Extras: none

View attachment 718706

By the end of the war in 1945, a desperate Japanese defensive campaign saw the ki-46 series converted into an ad hoc heavily-armed interceptor platform. The main threat to the Japanese mainland now came from the high-altitude Boeing B-29 Superfortress which could essentially act with its own level of impunity over Japanese defenses and out of reach of enemy interceptors. As a bomber interceptor, armament of the Ki-46 was upgraded to include 2 x 20mm cannons in the nose and 1 x 37mm cannon in an oblique firing position. The latter armament was intended to engage bombers from the rear and underneath - the most vulnerable area of an enemy bomber when in flight. These versions (Ki-46-III-KAI) proved adequate for the role conversion but were not as successful as anticipated. The airframe was simply not designed for the sustained firing of the large-caliber 37mm cannon, especially in its semi-vertical fitting, and the aircraft had trouble reaching its defined interception altitudes within time. Even when it did reach B-29 bombers, the aircraft lacked any armor protection or self-sealing fuel tanks and essentially made for target fodder against B-29 gunners. The Ki-46-III-KAI appeared in October of 1944 and was in operational service by the following month. When the American aircrews converted over the night operations, the tactical usefulness of the Ki-46-III interceptor was even less for they were never adapted to the night fighter role with radar or similar tracking facilities.
Certainly a lethal looking bird. Liking the new model kits that are being presented in the GBs now-a-days. And welcome to the 'hunt and try and find the right color' game.

Let's go to trouble the first image of the first color hand of the cockpit
4.jpg

There is still much left to do...

now we go with the color, 4 tests of the 4 different colors that I have compiled both for the invaluable help of wotjek and the internet
from right to left, dark green is the color that according to the instructions is the mixture (no point of comparison if it would be for the one that goes dark green 3), the next is the green that they say is mitsubishi green (it is not known either It seems this would be the color of the other model in the instructions, the device of the 16 independent group), the third color is the mixture that they say is from Tamiya, although it is close to the hue, it is still very orange for the color and finally the color that Wojtek I place, it is the one that I will stay with the mixture of gsi I think H37 + H84 the equivalents to those indicated in the instructions that wojtek placed.

2.jpg

so according to what I think after the tests I will paint with these two colors: one for the color itself (the color on the left) and the other to give depth to the model (color on the right of the photo)

3.jpg

Let's see how I am after so much time stopped working on paint as I did...

Love your test specimens Sergio, I'll have to remember that one
I always try to use plastic to do these tests, these teaspoons are the ones that are left over from celebrations and parties that I keep and for this they are great.
Looking good. However I found that the colour could also be the FS 30059 as well.
The fs30059 this I did not think was acceptable since according to gunze, vallejo, humbrol and floquil it is the green of the IJA it is the color that planes like judy, jake were using, also the rgb of the color according to a fs color table gives me that it was this colorpainted...
30059.jpg

Another page that I usually use is to get the color as well as the color reduced by 20% due to the issue of the scaling of the color according to the scale:

But of course I am calibrating the computer monitor every so often so that the color is as real as possible.

Last edited:
For the greenish one is suggested the Gunze Mr.Color 304 Olive Drab. The FS 30059 is Brown/Mid brown or Hull Red depending on the manufacturer .. Gunze 84 , Vallejo Model Color 70.985 or Model Air 71.036 what is nothing more but the Mahagany paint.

fs30059.jpg

val2.jpg

val1.jpg

gunze.jpg

In a WWII Japanese aviation group on facebook (face book) some colleagues have mentioned to me that the color would be called akatsuchi-iro, I had never heard of this color before, it was a variety of fs30117 very similar to 30215, it was a color since the NIKKA incident. According to model art 533 you can read about the color, according to this source this color is only recorded in two photos taken by the Americans of this Ki 46 III and two photos taken of a type 100 heavy bomb, both also according to the author. that quite evident discolorations and fading of color can be seen...

as I believe and from the information that is available on the Japanese colors of that time and their raw materials I think that this color is like a degradation of the dark brown, so it is even more clear to me that the color that wotjek

Users who are viewing this thread

Back