GB 58 and beyond

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Donivanp

Captain
Feb 23, 2014
Katy Texas
GB 57 is starting and the discussion for the next set should get started so folks can begin to thick about it. I know Andy, I know it only takes a little bit but let's Get 'Er Done.....
A few ideas to get the juice's flowing

1) I'd like to propose one I'll call Stormy Weather. Open ended if the name of the aircraft has a weather related name than it's in In any langue, Thunder (bolt, chief, flash, etc...) Typhoon, Hurricane, Fury, Tornado, Fulgor, Whirlwind, etc.... Any era...

2) Reconnaissance WWII, any aircraft modified to preform reconnaissance duties such as a recon Spitfire or Lightning (F-5) P-51(F-6) etc...

2) We haven't done an early WWII (France, Netherlands, BoB) for a while now.

4) 1942 Anything with in the year of 1942

5) Jet's, the early years WWII Jets.......

Just some thoughts

#2 would be interesting, especially if someone wanted to do Sydney Cotton's Electra 12A, but good luck finding a kit for it.

#1 would open the flood gates for Japanese types, as many had weather related names like "Violet Lightning" (Shiden), "Reppu" (Strong Wind), "Raiden" (Lightning Bolt), "Hayate" (Gale) and so on.

Some great suggestions there already👍

What about, WW2 seaplanes? Quite a lot to choose from there - Swordfish, Kingfisher, Ar 196, Zero, Sunderland, Fw 200 etc, etc.....
The Fw200 was a land-based long range maritime aircraft.

Perhaps the Bv222 or Do24 instead?

Or how about a rarity: an Aichi E13A operated by Germany out of Malaya?

Good suggestions guys. I will dust off the old spreadsheet so I can remember what we did. IIRC we each picked made 5 (10?) suggestions. Also keep in mind if you make a suggestion that is too specific then it will be unlikely to get a lot of votes. If we are OK with how the last 2 years of GB selections was handled then I can formalize this during the coming week.

(This text has been in development for about 6 months)
Ideas for the next round of GB

First off, I'd like to applaud the comradery, knowledge, enthusiasm and humor of the members of WW2AC. Next, what I have in mind is to be both inclusive by offering outlying subjects which at the same time offer some "stretch goals". Finally, I see a lot of non-WW2 ac in recent purchases so there will be all era options in my list. I also have personal goals that I'm working toward like having a fighter from every WWII air force. I've tried to come up with new ideas as well.

Instead of Heavy Hitters again,
Light Hitters any era; any single engine designed for ground/sea attack; light bombing aircraft. There are a few instances of these type of aircraft getting air kills but that shouldn't exclude the type. I'm thinking Stuka; Swordfish; A4 or Harrier. This is not for fighters configured for ground attack.

Very Heavy Hitters any era; any 4 or more engine bombers. I need a GB to build a RAF V bomber or a Lanc Dambuster.

Roos and Kiwis; this will be post WW2 aircraft with a roundel that has an animal that looks like it was drawn by Dr Suess. Some recognition for our southern hemisphere members. ACY-12507 Academy F-35

Carrier or Maritime Patrol aircraft any era. I can combo folders and Lucky 13
Swingers and Folders any era; these are aircraft with folding or swinging wings. Hellcat, Corsair

Test any era; Train, Tattoo any era; this is prototype, training and airshow specials. I'd like to include US Air National Guard in this as it also serves to maintain pilot proficiency. Are there foreign equivalents to this? YF-23

Stormy Weather any era; I can still get my Thunderchief in here.
Century Series; this is for the US planes F-100 to F-117. A lot of bare metal here.

We all build the same; the choice would be one of these: Mustang! Spitfire; 109; 190 Zero.

Lucky 13 any era; a plane with 13 in the markings in honor of our forum mascot who seems to have a lot of kits but no GB badges. Hellcat EDU-7079

(Let the comments fly)

Removed excess options.

Last edited:
#2 would be interesting, especially if someone wanted to do Sydney Cotton's Electra 12A, but good luck finding a kit for it.

#1 would open the flood gates for Japanese types, as many had weather related names like "Violet Lightning" (Shiden), "Reppu" (Strong Wind), "Raiden" (Lightning Bolt), "Hayate" (Gale) and so on.
As Sydney Cotton's Lockheed 12A is now back in the U.K., and painted up as G-AFTL, I have sent a message to Special Hobby via back-channels that it might be a good idea to re-release the kit…

Has a military transport GB been done yet?
The amount of types of cargo/transport types from both Axis and Allied is huge, really.

Or how about aircraft field modified to perform a role it wasn't designed for, like the B-26s at Midway carrying torpedoes or the Bü181C with panzerfausts mounted on it's wings (or L-birds with bazooka mounted, for that matter)?

Has a military transport GB been done yet?
The amount of types of cargo/transport types from both Axis and Allied is huge, really.

Or how about aircraft field modified to perform a role it wasn't designed for, like the B-26s at Midway carrying torpedoes or the Bü181C with panzerfausts mounted on it's wings (or L-birds with bazooka mounted, for that matter)?
Yes we did one a while back, open era, I did a C-2 greyhound, but this also would be a great add!!

Some good ideas so far.
-Prototype/Weird any era
-Early jets (or props for that matter) 1945 to 1955.
-Twin engine of any type any era.o
As far as ones already preposed, I like:
-Very Heavy Hitters
-Transports
-One Trick Pony
-Stormy Weather
-Seaplanes

Last edited:
GB 46, I like the sub categories concept.

20200806_203238.jpg
20200806_203352.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back