GB-63 English Electric Lightning F.2A - Stormy Weather.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Looking good Graham, and you should get a replacement canopy without problem from Airfix.
One minor point - the ejection seat on the Lightning was normally black (might be black, but looks grey on my laptop screen).
You know my gut feeling was it should be black but the instructions called for Humbrol 165 which is medium sea grey. Not hugely impressed with Airfix's colour call outs !

It's possible that Airfix went with the later colours, when the cockpit changed to a mid grey colour on the F3 and F6, which were originally black. However, as far as I know, the seat was still black, originally with a sandy brown parachute "head box"pack and seat back and squab cushions, later changed to a mid olive green colour.
For your period, I'd go with black for cockpit and seat, and the sandy brown parachute pack in the top of the seat.
I'm still in Norfolk at the moment, so don't have access to my photo files or library until after 30th September, so I can't post example pics.

The cockpit - F.1(DB) & F.2A ..

cos98z03.jpg

cos98z04.jpg

cos98z05.jpg

cos98z06.jpg

ligh_s01.jpg

F.3
lightcoa.jpg

lightcob.jpg

lightcoc.jpg

lightcod.jpg

the pic source: Thunder & Lightnings - English Electric Lightning - Walkaround Photos

I wish I had seen these pictures sooner ! I just went with what the instructions called for. I can't see how I can fix it at this point without making a mess of it. Fuselage is all glued together. ugh !

Well I got a hold of Airfix and they are sending me a new canopy. I painted the one I have just in case the replacement doesn't get here on time. It's also ready for paint but all my silver and aluminum paints were mud. Ordered some Alclad aluminum and dark aluminum. New stuff for me so I'll see how it goes. Still have not decided if I will repaint the ejection seat.

BEL (16)r.jpg

BEL (17)r.jpg

BEL (18)r.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back