Geneva Convention?

Discussion in 'Modern' started by renrich, Feb 21, 2010.

1. renrich

renrich Active Member

real estate
    Understand that the 5.45 bullet used in the Russian assault rifle "tumbles" inside the body causing a bigger wound channel and more internal damage. Also understand that the 5.56 US bullet does the same. I believe that the Geneva Convention Accords outlawed "dum-dum" bullets or other soft nosed expansion bullets, although it might be some other international agreement. It seems to me that a bullet which is designed to "tumble" inside the human body, even if it is a FMJ bullet violates the spirit of those agreements. Anyone have any info on that subject?

2. Butters

Butters Member

carpenter
    I'm familiar with that, and IIRC, the Swedes increased the twist in the rifling of their 5.56 barrels to prevent bullet tumble.

There has also been controversy in regards to using shotguns in combat, but as with the bullets designed to tumble, none of the controversy has had any tangible effect on the either the manufactures or users of those weapons.

"War is cruelty...", and all that....

JL

3. J_P_C

J_P_C New Member

aviation engineer
    US never ratified Geneva Convention - this is reason why can not be prosecuted for multiple violation of GC rules

4. ToughOmbre

ToughOmbre Active Member

Retired from Verizon Communications - Now Working for Point Lobster Company, Pt. Pleasant Beach, NJ
    I'm not an expert on the GC but.....

I think that US has ratified all the Geneva Conventions with the exception of the two protocols of 1977, that further protect civilians during wartime and address armed conflicts within a nation.

TO

5. DerAdlerIstGelandet

DerAdlerIstGelandet Der Crew Chief
    Staff Member Moderator

A&P - Aircraft Technician
    1. You are wrong, with the exception of two protocols, which have been signed with the intention to ratify.

2. What does the United States have to do with this particular thread? Stay on topic.

6. renrich

renrich Active Member

real estate
    What I am trying to find out is what agreement prevents nations from using dum-dum or similar bullets and whether there has been any controversy about the fact that these "tumbling" bullets might mimic a dum-dum or a hollow point bullet. OK, looked it up and the Hague Convention outlawed Dum-Dum bullets in 1899 which I suppose that caused everyone to go to the FMJ bullets.