German fighter info concerning particular B-17 shot down

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

hlbly

Recruit
Feb 27, 2014
the particulars are, 99th Bomb Group, B-17 Heavy, (346th bomb Squadron) #42-30474 Shot Down 6 Oct.. 1943 MACR 929 (AUS 18049642 ) in the B-17 F Heavy Bomber / the "BUM's RUSH". One of two B-17's lost on a bombing mission to hit the Mestre rail yards in Italy. Both were downed by German fighters. Pilot bailed out and landed in the Po Valley were partisans helped him escape to Switzerland. He was my Great Uncle. Family members asked me to find out as much as I can. I have hit a snag on Luftwaffe information. I can't even find an OB for JG's stationed in Italy at this time. Any tips or suggestions would be appreciated.

mhuxt thank you so much . I think we have the right person I am so grateful to you.

The location and time match exactly with the MACR I have. Thank you so much. Can you direct me to anyplace where I can learn more about this man ?

The location and time match exactly with the MACR I have. Thank you so much. Can you direct me to anyplace where I can learn more about this man ?

No worries, glad I could help.

There's some information about Schmitz on this page:

Kracker Luftwaffe Archive

although there's nothing about him in the LW officers database (he was eventually a Leutnant) here:

http://www.ww2.dk/Lw Offz - S-Z - Apr 2014.pdf

Worth keeping that pdf link though as they make regular updates to the info.

Oh, and thanks for the bacon, yum.

Last edited:
Thank you again my friend. You have been a huge help. Not sure what the bacon is but here is some more.

Hi, my name is Matteo, the b-17 "BUM'S RUSH" fell in the city where I live.
I am gathering information among the elders of the city, I'd love to share information with you in order to reconstruct how things went about 70 years ago. I know the relatives of the partisans who helped the crew, as was your uncle?

Hello, I found the exact spot where the plane fell in Italy, is located in my town, many people I know remember helping these American men, can you give me your email?

you might see if his email is in his profile and try to contact him that way or PM him and he might get email notification of that. he may not look at this forum regularly and he hasnt posted since august.

My Grandfather was Staff Sgt., AAC Harry L. Cunningham - ASN 37384700 and he was on the same plane as your Great Uncle. My Grandfather had a letter from one of the crew that landed safely after the plane was shot down. The letter described a lot of what you said happened to your Great Uncle and I'd bet anything it was from him.

My Grandfather was one of the crew on the Bum's Rush that was taken as a POW and he was held in Stalag 17b Braunau Gneikendorf Near Krems Austria.

The letter was sent to him years later and described what happened on the day the plane was shot down.

I'd love to connect with you and share information about this and please do feel free to contact me. My email is jasonmchenry at gmail dot com and I'll PM you with a phone number too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back