German LgN hardware specifications

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Barski

Recruit
Sep 13, 2016
We are working on a ME 109 restoration and would like to know where we can find the JgN hardware specifications. Can't find them on line. We're they converted to DIN's?

We have a Hispano Na.1112 Buchon in the final stages of restoration and we got a CD with the files on it from somewhere online. We reuse the original hardware where we can and convert to SAE when we can't. There are a few places where you can get metric aviation grade hardware, but there aren't many over here, and nonme had the Messerschmitt-specific things like rod ends. When we absolutely needed them, we made them ourselves. There would be little resistance converting to metric av-grade hardware except for the almost unavailability of it.

Given that it is so hard to get, the next obstacle is price. There is NO compelling reason to convert to hardware that is much more expensive, and every reason to stay with SAE. I rode motorcycles in competition for 20 years. They were all metric and we had no issue with that. We could readily get metric hardware, but it wasn't aviation grade stuff. I DID notice the Japanese tended to stay with even metric sizes like 8, 10, 12, 14 and the Europeans, particularly the Spanish and Italians, tended to go with odd sizes like 13, 15 ,17. I found that odd but not particularly troubling because most metric wench and socket sets HAVE those sizes anyway.

They need to offer competively-priced aviation metric hardware if they want us to start using it. Otherwise it will never happen.

Last edited:
One thing about the Bf 109 is that the wing attach bolts are tapered and each one is individually fitted. They are not interchangeable. You might want to mark them carefully so you can get them back in without many tries of various combinations.

Since ours will be an airsho / movie plane, we removed the wing fuel tanks and fabricated a spar patch for the starboard wing where the tank went through the spar. After that, it's a matter of just doing it and finding the metric hardware and items like the bearings for the trim wheels and things like that. We DID move the hydraulic pump from the engine compartment to the fuselage behind the cockpit. So now there is no heat and no oil running anywhere NEAR heat.

We also installed new plexi in the places where the panes were flat. We made a new ninstrument panel that is very close to a Bf 109 panel. Well, it's as close as we can get, given the differences in instruments from wartime use. We found the gear uplocks difficult to find / make, but we got them made.

Good luck! How about some pics?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back