German Mosquito with DB605?? (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Augsburg Eagle

Airman 1st Class
Oct 23, 2013
Munich
Does one of you know something about a Mosquito in German sevice with a DB605?
I heard something about such one, but never read about it or saw pictures.

The closest I can think of (other than the Bf110G/Me210) would be the He219 (with DB603) or the Ta154 (Jumo211)

There was a request by the Finnish Airforce to the aircraft manufacturer Valmet to see about producing the De Havilland Mosquito equipped with the DB605. It was to be named the "Vihuri" but the soonest production could be started was 1946. So this was a "paper project" only...none were ever built.

Those were dedicated night fighter aircraft.

Mosquito was a light bomber with a night fighter variant. Rather like Ju-88G except the German aircraft was a low/medium altitude bomber and Mosquito emphasized high altitude pathfinder role.

Until the advent of the Merlin 70 series, the Mossie was not a decidedly hi-alt aircraft. Actually, most of the produced examples were fighter-bomber versions, featuring the single stage Merlin 20 and 30 series.

I suspect late war production skews the picture of Mosquito usage. RAF Bomber Command had top priority for aircraft procurement and their first Mosquito operational sorties took place 31 May 1942. Interestingly enough that corresponds almost exactly with introduction of Me-210C by Germany.

The closest I can think of (other than the Bf110G/Me210) would be the He219 (with DB603) or the Ta154 (Jumo211)

There was a request by the Finnish Airforce to the aircraft manufacturer Valmet to see about producing the De Havilland Mosquito equipped with the DB605. It was to be named the "Vihuri" but the soonest production could be started was 1946. So this was a "paper project" only...none were ever built.

Sorry, it's Finnish.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWiBBlS6o5o

And light fighter Puuska

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKGwqlj1eUo

At german sources the Ta 154 is named as german Mosquito, because it was also built from wood.

Ta 154 is named as german Mosquito, because it was also built from wood.

American Spruce Goose and German Me-323 employed wood construction too. However I would hesitate to consider them equivalent to RAF Mosquito. Same applies to Ta-154. These aircraft were built for different roles.

Has anyone ever seen an official document showing official use of "Moskito" for the Ta 154?
I very much doubt this, they would never name it after an enemy plane and previous Focke-Wulf aircraft were named after birds.

I suspect late war production skews the picture of Mosquito usage. RAF Bomber Command had top priority for aircraft procurement and their first Mosquito operational sorties took place 31 May 1942. Interestingly enough that corresponds almost exactly with introduction of Me-210C by Germany.

Not sure exactly what this means; Mosquito night fighters first saw operational service in April 1942, while the first PR Mosquito operations took place in September 1941.

By the end of May 1942, there were three Mosquito night fighter squadrons (157, 151, 264 Sqns) vs one bomber unit (105 Sqn).

Last edited:
I haven't written anything about official or primary sources.

But there are some second rated sources and books, which "claim" the Ta 154 as german Mosquito, because she was built from wood and also was a two engine a/c which was simular from design.

What's this fixation with the Mosquito being a high-altitude bomber with a night-fighter variant?
The Mosquito could be described as possibly the first MRCA, with versions, and roles, covering bomber, at high altitude, medium altitude, low level and very low level, as well as the 'Pathfinder' role, fighter-bomber, again at medium altitude, low altitude and very low level, day/night intruder, night-fighter, photo recce, weather recce, maritime strike, high-speed transport and a trainer version too.
And this wasn't two versions adapting to various roles, but designated Marks for specific roles.

Those were dedicated night fighter aircraft.

Mosquito was a light bomber with a night fighter variant. Rather like Ju-88G except the German aircraft was a low/medium altitude bomber and Mosquito emphasized high altitude pathfinder role.
Thanks for pointing out the obvious...

Sorry, it's Finnish.
I stated that the "Vihuri project" was a Finnish Airforce proposal to Valmet...

Has anyone ever seen an official document showing official use of "Moskito" for the Ta 154?
I very much doubt this, they would never name it after an enemy plane and previous Focke-Wulf aircraft were named after birds.
Show me where it's NOT referred to as a Moskito...this was Kurt Tank's project anyway.
Focke-Wulf also license-built an auto-gyro that they called a grasshopper...which is not a bird and the U.S. already had a liason aircraft named Grasshopper.

In my post, I was merely making a comparison to the De Havilland Mosquito and it's possible German counterparts. So far the only closest candidate to the original question is the proposed project by the Finnish Airforce.

So the answer to the original question is, no...the Germans never made one.

Thanks for pointing out the obvious...

I stated that the "Vihuri project" was a Finnish Airforce proposal to Valmet...
Sorry for my bad English, I meant that the link language is Finnish.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back