German radio control box

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

One of our unknown items here at the Freeman Army Airfield Museum in Seymour, IN USA is the box in the accompanying photo. We think it has to do with controlling the radios (or radio accessories) in WWII German warplanes. This may have come out of a Ju-88, but the same radio equipment was used in many different airplanes. I would like to know what the box really controlled, from a practical standpoint. I need to make a sign, explaining the part for museum visitors. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Note that I put the chrome ballpoint pen in the photo to give some idea of the scale; size of the box. Thanks for your help.
Radio control box.jpeg

Being a front. There must be a fl-number.

It from a radio set ofcourse but wich one.

Controls of radio wire that was put out of the plane?

This is the Selbstschalterkasten ( auto-switch power on/off and overload protection box. In other words the box for the electric circuit breakers ) used with the FuG 10 radio set also for the Ju-88. It is a box for four circuit breakers and the one is still in the box. The inscriprions there depict the electrical circuits these protect.

View attachment 744842

View attachment 744852

View attachment 744878

View attachment 744905
the source:
FuG 10 installation
Thank you Wurger. You have solved my problem. Now I know what it is, and what it does. I do have one remaining question: Can you tell me what the right-most inscription says, and what it means in English? I believe the bottom line reads Umf.U8, but the top line is obliterated on my box. I can read only one letter in the top line; it is an "e".

The box is at the museum, and I am at home. I plan to go to the museum tomorrow anyway. I will get the box and bring it home, and look it over for any numbers or other markings.
Snautzer01:
You are correct; there is an FL number. I brought the box home, examined it under good light, and saw numbers under corrosion. Using a brass "toothbrush", I removed the loose corrosion, and more numbers were revealed. Using a magnifying glass, I believe the numbers are FL 32404-8. I'm not sure about the dash between the 4 and the 8; the metal is completely missing there (small hole), but the spacing and surroundings suggest a dash. But now that Wurger has told me what the box is, and what it does, I don't think you need to work on it anymore. Thank you for your help.

Snautzer01:
You are correct; there is an FL number. I brought the box home, examined it under good light, and saw numbers under corrosion. Using a brass "toothbrush", I removed the loose corrosion, and more numbers were revealed. Using a magnifying glass, I believe the numbers are FL 32404-8. I'm not sure about the dash between the 4 and the 8; the metal is completely missing there (small hole), but the spacing and surroundings suggest a dash. But now that Wurger has told me what the box is, and what it does, I don't think you need to work on it anymore. Thank you for your help.
Yes we have a Wurger. As always did a terrific job. Thanks for showing this piece.

Thank you Wurger. You have solved my problem. Now I know what it is, and what it does. I do have one remaining question: Can you tell me what the right-most inscription says, and what it means in English? I believe the bottom line reads Umf.U8, but the top line is obliterated on my box. I can read only one letter in the top line; it is an "e".

The Fl. 32404-8 is correct and, as I mentioned above , means the "Abschirmgehäuse für Schutzschalter" = the shielded box for circuit breakers. The box was making by the Siemens, Berlin in 40'.

Fl.32404-8 Abschirmgehäuse für Schutzschalter.jpg

the source: the net.

The inscriptions :

- Sender Umformer - Transmitter converter
- Empfänger Umformer - Receiver converter
- Röhren Heizung - Tube heater
- Anoden Umf. U.8 - Anodes of the Voltage converter U.8

* Umf. U8 = "Umformer U.8" made by the Lorenz/Telefunken, Berlin. This is a power supply dynamotor (rotary generator)/ anode voltage stabilizer with the current regulator for the blind landing receivers EBl 1, EBl 2 and EBl 3 of of the radio landing reception system FuBl 1, FuBl 2 or the PeilG radio direction finder systems rather than for the FuG 10 radio set. Because all the navigation systems were combined with the FuG 10, the cicrcut breaker box could keep the one there.
There were used other dynamotor/ voltage converters for the FuG 10 radios, the Umformer U.10/S or Umformer U.10/E what can be found in most of the Ju-88 pics with the radio set. These two were of a slightly different, from the U.8, architecture. The U.10 devices can be found at the bottom of the Ju-88 radio wall usually.

The Umformer U.10/S on left and the U.10/E one on right ...
FuG10.jpg

U10s U10E.jpg

The Unformer U.10/S ...
U10-S.jpg

U10_a.jpg

U10_b.jpg

the pic source: the net.

The Umformer U.10/E ...
U10-E_a.jpg

U10-E_b.jpg

the pic source: the net.

The Umformer U.8 ...