German rudder kill markings (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

bob44

Airman 1st Class
Sep 9, 2012
I have seen pictures of Bf109 rudder kill markings that are in different colors. For example, on one aircraft, some markings are black and some are red. What is the difference in colors?

First of all, Kudos on refering to Willy's wonderful machine as the "Bf-109".
I would have to say that the percieved difference is due to a possible anamoly in photographic elements, perhaps Terry can elucidate further.
I know that the Luftwaffe did not differenciate between fighters, bombers, or transport aircraft, as did, say, the U-Bootwaffe, with the red flags for a warship as opposed to the white for merchant ships.

I agree with Erich. Also, in some cases, it could be due to something as simple as available paint, pilot's preference, or a sense of 'display', where, for example, red might be used against a yellow background.
There were also various styles, with no firm evidence to indicate that these styles are 'official'. Some Abschuss zeichen might be painted as an outline bar only, or an outline with a date inside it. Others might be solid, with a date on it, or above it. Others may be capped by an arrow, or be in the colours of the country of the 'victim', or have the country's roundel above it, and so on. Some might just be plain white bars, if on a darker background, or, as seen on some night fighters.
There are examples of both black and red bars being used on the same 'core board' - the rudder of Adolf Galland's aircraft being one.

In the case of Adolf Galland, especially in his Bf109E-4 W.Nr.5819 the RED bars indicated victories scored in other aircraft and the BLACK were those claimed in that actual aircraft.

anyone know the story behind these kill marking, why some up arrows and some down ????

2086556199_4773bf9b4a.jpg

Up = aerial victories.
Down = ground victories

Users who are viewing this thread

Back