Glenn Miller Loss

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

billrunnels

Distinguished Member
B-17 Bombardier
8AF, 303bg, 360bs
Oct 13, 2017
Minnesota, USA
On Dec. 15, 1944, a UC-64A disappeared on the Glenn Miller flight from England to France. Was there ever any factual information forthcoming as to what happened? I know the aircraft was never found.

Bill.

i think it was believed that Millers plane wandered into an area that returning Lancasters dumped their unused bombs as just as they were unloading, but that story is also disputed !
Thanks for the reply. I question that the true facts will ever be known.

Heard that one as well Karl. A few of the returning crews noted a secondary explosion coinciding with Millers flight time. Still haven't read anything conclusive though

Last edited:
I posted something on this a few years ago, based on research by an aviation author.
Here's the PDF.

Attachments

• Microsoft Word - The Glenn Miller 'Mystery'.pdf
    504.6 KB · Views: 225
Thanks for the referral. Isn't the aircraft he was in Canadian built for cold weather operation? May be the high humidity in that area would cause icing. We probably will never know for sure what happened. In any event I am glad the Glenn Miller music sound lives on.

Bush plane that could have wheels, floats or skis. Think of as an early DeHavilland Beaver.

I posted something on this a few years ago, based on research by an aviation author.
Here's the PDF.
Thank you for sharing this detailed report. I guess we can put this subject back on the shelf marked " Best Guess".

Last edited:
Here's a currently airworthy Norseman in Norwegian colours.
See my previous post for referal to the full story, including probable icing.

Oost 86.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back