Gloster F.34/35

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

merlin

Senior Airman
Dec 27, 2006
Cardiff
Gloster aircraft did a series of twin-engined fighter designs, which were essentially developments of this first design.

The fourth was the Reaper to Spec. F.18/40 - a design for a night-fighter, the third was the F.11/37 - a twin-engined canon armed turret fighter, the second was the G.39 to F.9/37, the fixed gun fighter.

now I've seen a photo of a model of the F.34/35 in Tony Buttler's book, but it has no info. - anybody know more - engines, est speed etc!????

Come on guys, hasn't anyone got any info!?
Any opinions on the engines - would it be too early for the Taurus? Therefore would it have Mercury engines? But if so, how much faster would it be in comparison with the Blenheim?

I don't have too much information on it I'm afraid but I do have this three view drawing which you can see below.

Also the F.34/35 was not the first design in thew sequence, it was itself derived from the F.5/33 which I don't have a picture of.

The F5.33 was to be powered by two 625hp Bristol Aquila engines. A prototype of the F34/35 was ordered and it was to be serialled K8625 but this was abandoned when the Defiant was selected as the RAF's sole turret fighter.

According to the source I have the F.9/37 was just the F.34/35 with the gun turret removed in order to provide a speedy response to the requirement so it is possible that the prototype may have been ordered with Aquila's with the intention to move to The Taurus later on.

IMG_0003-1.jpg

An even less detailed drawing and possibly the model illustrated in Butler's book.

According to a Profile magazine, the Air Ministry initially favoured the Airspeed AS.31 design for Specification F.34/35?...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back