Gloster Gamecock

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

woljags

Staff Sergeant
Dec 28, 2010
maidenhead uk
yet another project on the go all be it smaller than some others

bob221.jpg

bob228.jpg

bob222.jpg

bob224.jpg

this is another rare kit by Pegasus dated 1983,it only has the basic parts in the kit with loads to make from scratch

i'm having a little trouble making spars from the left over plastic used in these kits,it won't streach correctly so i will have some use some from another kit

unfortuatly no,but when heated the sprue wouldn't pull evenly instead giving an uneven lumpy shape,i put it down to it being a low grade plastic in the kit

Are these for the interplane struts? If so, there are various 'gauges' available, probably from Hannant's, although I can't remember the company name. Of course, you could always use plastic strip or rod, sanded to shape.

unfortuatly no,but when heated the sprue wouldn't pull evenly instead giving an uneven lumpy shape,i put it down to it being a low grade plastic in the kit

I understand you I think. The model looks like a short-run kit. But usually the styrene used for these kits is good.And there is no problem with stretching of the warmed up plastic. I think the problem might be with getting of the correct temperature.What do you use for heating of a sprue stick ?

Last edited:
i have tried doing this over a candle/gas ring and by using a heat gun all with the same results,yes these are for the struts and undercarrage,i found a hobby shop near me selling clear plastic sheeting,although its a little thin i might be able to laminate it get the correct thickness,fingers crossed

Don't use the clear plastic. It won't laminate very well, and is too flexible, and does not sand into a profile very well either. Try to get some plastic rod or strip - available in various gauges. Have a look at the 'Evergreen' web site, which shows all their range. If you can't get it locally, many on-line model outlets stock it, Hannant's probably being the easiest to access.
If all else fails, in this scale, you could re-profile plastic cocktail sticks or similar.

thanks for the drawings they are very helpful as the kit is not very clear as to the strut positions,looks like i will be pinching Chris's cocktail sticks,just don't tell her

i have tried doing this over a candle/gas ring and by using a heat gun all with the same results,yes these are for the struts and undercarrage,i found a hobby shop near me selling clear plastic sheeting,although its a little thin i might be able to laminate it get the correct thickness,fingers crossed

If the plastic of the kit is really very poor, the easiest way of making these struts is to use a sprue of another kit. It might be any of Italeri or other well-known manufactures. Their styrene is really fine and you should stretch a piece of the mould frame without any problem.
Another material you can use is a brassy wire. There is really a few ways of making these.

back to this little project,i've set the wing angle with scrap spue and plan to use the cocktail stick idea,once the struts are in place the spue will be removed,pics to follow shortly,thanks very much for all the advise/ideas chaps

after several attempts i've now got the undercarrage right,pics to follow once i've downloaded them,i've also found the prop is oversize and will need trimming

bob764-1.jpg

bob769-1.jpg

bob787.jpg

bob784.jpg

progress so far ,i still have some of the wing struts to make up and fit,plus any rigging whats the thoughts so far

Users who are viewing this thread

Back