gnome-rhône 14 kfs (mistral major) i need pics (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

destrozas

Senior Master Sergeant
Jan 12, 2010
well I open this thread to see if someone can put a photo of the rear of the engine, the size I have them, photos of the front but found more I look I find the back of the engine and would like to have it to detail the Heja MAVAG open with the engine if you can's take me a line.

I can send this image at higher resolution if it would help.

Cheers, Jerryw
Mistral Major.jpg

thanks jerryw with this and logical knowledge engine can do something.

Finally confirms what I though I knew, that the 14K engine only had 2 main bearings / no bearing between the two rows of cylinders.
That lack of support increaded crankshaft flex, reducing the allowable rpm and horsepower.

Were all the two row Gnome Rhone engines built this way, this is, without a center main bearing between rows????

Piper106

Pretty much. The 14R had a third bearing which is one reason it weighed a few hundred pounds more than the 14N series. The smaller 14M is described as having only two bearings. The 18 cylinder is described as having 3 bearings.

This might also be a reason why many of the related Italian WW2 radial engines seemed to be curiously low on power for their size and did not exhibit significant power increases that one would have expected with continued development. Previously, I had attributed this situation to poor fuel and and raw material shortages.

fiveseven thanks for the picture is worth that photo and I have stored, see the back is what but I'm interested because I found almost no pictures especially motor bracket

This might also be a reason why many of the related Italian WW2 radial engines seemed to be curiously low on power for their size and did not exhibit significant power increases that one would have expected with continued development. Previously, I had attributed this situation to poor fuel and and raw material shortages.

Well, the italian engines suffered from the lack of high quality materials due to the embargo imposed.

In the late 20s and early 30s italian racing engines were on par with the finest british ones and they had all the engineering talent needed to keep up with the developments.

Destrozas: I've scans from a Gnome and Rhone 14m maintenance manual. This engine was the smaller brother of the 14k but is otherwise identical. If you're interested I can post some.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back