Grandson sues to clear Stalin over killings

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I never understood the mindset behind a government that wants to control it's citizens by hardship, fear and misery.

The crazy thing is that their are Russians who miss "the good old days":shock:...I remember once, when I was in Berlin, their was a guy in a bar that explained to me, how some people missed the way they used to live under communism... and that their was even a German word that ment (something like) "nostalgia for communism". I wish I could remember the word...and I'm sure that someone will correct me (please_lol).

If you distract the people with wealth and luxuries, they'll be too preoccupied to really care what the govenment does, as long as it doesn't interfere with thier "pursuit of happiness"...

I guess the problem starts when your country doesn't have the means to produce the shiny bobbles and your people don't have the jobs to buy the trinkets... Or, if their isn't a distinction between church state...

We tried importing American goods into country's that where unable to produce the goods needed to "raise the standard of living", but then you had people freaking out about the "Hip-Hop" and the "Nike". And then America got a "bad rap" for "polluting the world with our culture".

Their is a theory that suggest when a country has a stable economy and is dependent on their product exports to sustain economic growth, that they are less likely to start a war... I wonder if China knows this? :forcefeed: (ignore my topic deviation if you want to_lol)

The crazy thing is that their are Russians who miss "the good old days":shock:...I remember once, when I was in Berlin, their was a guy in a bar that explained to me, how some people missed the way they used to live under communism... and that their was even a German word that ment (something like) "nostalgia for communism". I wish I could remember the word...and I'm sure that someone will correct me (please_lol).
We tried importing American goods into country's that where unable to produce the goods needed to "raise the standard of living", but then you had people freaking out about the "Hip-Hop" and the "Nike". And then America got a "bad rap" for "polluting the world with our culture".

Well, consumerism is one religion in america, communism was another one in USSR. Some Russians still cant see all benefits of shopping in Wal-Mart, continue beliving in their old ideals. What can you do. Crazy!

The good thing about US though is freedom of choice that the SU lacked of in many aspects of life.

Well, consumerism is one religion in america, communism was another one in USSR. Some Russians still cant see all benefits of shopping in Wal-Mart, continue beliving in their old ideals. What can you do. Crazy!

The good thing about US though is freedom of choice that the SU lacked of in many aspects of life.

The crazy thing is that they don't like having the choice...apparently, the people who miss communism the most feel anguish when faced with choices...they actually like being told what to do. Somehow, they don't feel equipped to make the decisions that the "free life" confronts them with (lol)... :cry:

All people are different, some choose to serve in the army, obey orders without questions, others, living on the streets, doing drugs, enjoy absolute freedom.

All people are different, some choose to serve in the army, obey orders without questions, others, living on the streets, doing drugs, enjoy absolute freedom.
Actually, the people on the streets are more committed to obeying orders than the people serving in the military...once the addicts are hooked into thier drugs...their brain is no longer in control and they have become "slaves" to the drug...

They may move about "freely", they are anything but free.

Thank god their are a few more choices then that in life (lol)...

Actually, the people on the streets are more committed to obeying orders than the people serving in the military...once the addicts are hooked into thier drugs...their brain is no longer in control and they have become "slaves" to the drug...

They may move about "freely", they are anything but free.

All too true...and sad.

At least from a purely American viewpoint; conservatism and communism are day and night.
By conservative, he means reactionary.

"Conservatives", were called some hardcore communists or ideological fanatics in the Soviet Politbureau in 70s and 80s (stalinists in other terms).
Marxism was some sort of religion, similarities can be found in today's US politics too. Different camp, different ideology, same mentality.

In China they are called Maoists. Same animal, different name.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back