Greatest Fighter Aircraft of All Time

Which is the best

• Total voters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

102first_hussars

Tech Sergeant
Oct 3, 2005
Edmonton,Alberta
Okay I saw this program on Discovery about the Top Ten Best fighter aircraft, I didnt fully agree with their results so I would like to see what you guys think.

We've discussed the Mig-25 before but it was a stroke of what I call "Primitive Genius." We all know how the Soviets used steel, radar and communications equipment with cathode tubes, no real egress system, etc. just to make the Mig-25 competitive. In return, when used with other air forces, it did terrible. I have the following numbers.

IRAN - IRAQ War
Mig-25 Confirmed Kills - 6
Unconfirmed - 3

Mig- 25 confirmed destroyed by the IIAF - 15

Gulf War 1, 3 Mig-25s killed by coalition forces

Middle East - 3 Mig-25s killed by the IAF

SO the Mig-25 as a fighter has a 3 to 10 kill ratio!

IIAF 2 times F-5s shot down Mig-25s! That's embarrising!!! :oops:

102first_hussars said:
Another thing where is the Lightning (EE not Lockheed)...

Its an excellent plane, but it didnt have a major influence in the history of Dog Fighting.

Excuse me I meant to say it was an excellent plane but it didnt have a major influence in the history of Dog Fighting so I didnt put it up there

I guess the russians thought it was top of the line, ahead of its time, so much a pilot had to go rogue and take one to Japan, but like you said FBJ it was nothing but steel, Cathoder ehem I mean Cathode tubes, goes to show what Russias idea of high quality was then eh?

102first_hussars said:
I guess the russians thought it was top of the line, ahead of its time, so much a pilot had to go rogue and take one to Japan, but like you said FBJ it was nothing but steel, Cathoder ehem I mean Cathode tubes, goes to show what Russias idea of high quality was then eh?

Well it was designed for one thing, to intercept the B-70 which never materialized, but it was a formidable interceptor for straight on, one or two shots. It was crude and could be somewhat dangerous according to Victor Belinko, they guy who defected to Japan in 1976.

The SR-71 just danced around it when it tried to intercept the Blackbird, Belinko stated that it seemed the Blackbird was just taunting the Russians!

One of the reason for using vacuum tubes in the Mig-25 is that they are not succeptible to EMP (Electro-Magnetic Pulse). Any fighter that is going after a nuclear bomber should have the least amount of succeptibility to EMP.

And for the record guys, Cathode Ray Tubes, or CRTs are still used even today. That is the screen for computers, TVs, radars and even American Fighters carried them for many years.

evangilder said:
One of the reason for using vacuum tubes in the Mig-25 is that they are not succeptible to EMP (Electro-Magnetic Pulse). Any fighter that is going after a nuclear bomber should have the least amount of succeptibility to EMP.

And for the record guys, Cathode Ray Tubes, or CRTs are still used even today. That is the screen for computers, TVs, radars and even American Fighters carried them for many years.

YEP!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back