Greetings from Georgia (USA, that is) (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Good Morning -
I'm new here.
I wish I could say I was a pilot but that's not quite true. I "learned" to fly 20 years ago in a Piper J-5....but, it crashed before I soloed. (long story - the pilot didn't have it tied down properly, had the throttle open too wide when she propped the motor....the pilotless aircraft moved forward, she ducked the blade and tried to climb aboard but it gained speed and she fell away...before getting airborne it ran into a fence)
I do enjoy the dream of being a pilot, however. When the opportunity presents itself I visit museums and go up with others. Have also had the good fortune to have been able to ride in a C-47, B-25 and two B-17s (plus a 1928 Travel Air 4000).
I'm very interested in the WWII air war in Europe as well as history in general. I am an avid reader and author.
I fear I may ask far more questions than I will be able to provide answers/help for others.
My thanks to the originators, moderators and the contributors to this website. You people are providing a great service to the advancement of our collective knowledge.

Welcome to the forum, Dream Flyer. You sound like a person who has been
around awhile. May I ask your age ?? I hope you stay here for while too...

Charles

ccheese
"....been around for awhile." That's delicately put. How about "not quite 60"?
In other activities where modern stuff competes with the "old" I've been known to show up with some "old" and sometimes "very old"....and remark "...anything designed after WWI can't be trusted." All in fun, of course. But, when someone with a modern state of the art loses to someone using something from the 1890's....well, it's all part of the fun. As for aircraft....I know nothing about the new stuff; and don't really care about them.

Spend some time searching our Forum, read some posts and look for some answers to questions that nag at the rear of ur medulla oblomgata... Theres alot of info here....

Take ur time and assimilate, get to know the folks and Mods... This is a very active site where there is daily conversation....

And welcome....

Hello Roman,
My father was in the Signal Corps, attached to the 8th Air Service Command. His last duty station was as Signal Supply Officer at BADA (Base Air Depo Area - Burtonwood). He was responsible for the procurement, storage and issue of all Signal supplies and equipment for the AAF in the ETO.
This is an excellent website. I've been doing a lot of reading.
Thanks for recommending it.
Hugh

Hi again Hugh. Just noticed your father was at BAD Burtonwood for a time. I did some paintings for the last 'all ranks' club there, around 1988, before the last remnants of the biggest air base in Europe were closed forever.I recently found a couple of pics of the paintings; I can e-mail copies if they are of any interest to you? You might already be aware, but there is a Burtonwood Association, in the UK and the 'States, and at least 2 books on the place.
Terry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back