Greetings to all (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

dirkpitt289

Master Sergeant
Jul 16, 2009
South Plainfield New Jersey
It just dawned on me I never introduced myself.

Well as the name states I'm Dirk and I'm from New Jersey which as some of you might have guessed is in the good ole US of A.

Lets see, where to begin. As a kid I was heavily into modeling. Some of my fondest endeavors were Dioramas which I always used for school projects. The ones I remember most was a B-24 Assembly plane called "Big Ass Ape" a crash landed B-17 complete with scratch built window frames. And lastly a C-47 Skytrain complete with Paratroopers getting ready for D-Day. All were 1/48 scale. For a kid in the 7th grade I was pretty damn happy with the results. Well until 2 years (some 30 years later) ago I'm back at it.

For some unknown reason for Christmas my girlfriend bought me a model of the RMS Titanic. Well it all took off from there. With life being what it is with work, part time job, newly started business, 3 kids (including 18 month old Twins) its hard to find good quality time to sit at the (Converted Air Hockey table) bench and work but I'm trying.

Just some background, I use to be a cop once upon a time and I was in the USAF as a C-130 Mechanic.

Thanks for letting me jabber on. I look forward to meeting and sharing info with all of you.

Regards

Where were you a Police Officer? My father is currently a Police Officer now in Millburn TWP. I am from NJ too obviously, welcome!

I noticed that you were from New Jersey. I started with the State Police back in 1989 out of Morris county. I use to live in Branchburg which isn't too far from Tewksbury. I use to go bike riding up there all the time. Beautiful area.

I actually play a lot of my sports games up in branchburg! Branchburg is dam nice itself.... :lol:

Generally, I go to Maplewood...... which is far but it's got absolutely EVERYTHING.Clinton has 20th century hobbies, I don't like it as much as Maplewoods though ! :lol:

Or, if I'm lazy, and money permits, I order of internethobbies.com

It ships outta PA so it gets here in a day.

Last edited:
I go to the one in Linden. Its a great shop but then again I have nothing to compare it to. I have no problem buying online but sometimes I like to have it in my hands before I buy it. Not to mention I think some of his prices are a bit inflated. I recently was looking for a B-17F in 1/72 for an upcoming project. He had it for $28 + tax. I got the same model online for $12 with shipping.

Oh, where did you get that from ?

Off the top of my head I don't remember. I don't usually go to the same place. I usually hunt till I find the best price and that varies. Some are online shops and sometimes its eBay. You can find a ton of stuff on eBay but you got to beware of the shipping costs.

a cop is always welcome in my book :) once a cop always a cop..hehe

looking forward to see some models :)

Attachments

• moderators.jpg
    moderators.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 77
Has Joe arrived back from the Czech Republic yet?

He wasn´t here this time, only his grandson Nick. Nick leaves for States today from Berlin.
Joe had health problems 3 months ago and spent all those 3 months in bed. He made it out but his legs muscles failed. So he´s in the rehabilitation center actually where they teach him to walk again. Otherwise he would come this year as well.
Joe promised to come next year so I keep my fingers crossed!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back